VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension And GFR=??

Rate this question

Hardtyme

Question

I have a quick question, I've had hypertension for over 30 years and now my GFR is 46 which is Stage 3.  I am not SC'd on the renal failure but am going to have to file in case something happens.  The way I read the Stage 3 is as far as SC is concerned equals 60% unless Creatinine, BUN, Albumin or protein are spilling-if they are, it's 80%.  Am I correct?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Who, Hoss!  Before you start calculating up your disability percentages, you need to first get service connected, because none of that matters unless you are SC.  (By the way, I see this a lot..and I even did it myself.)  It goes in this order:  SC, disability percentage, then effective date.  

By losing focus on disability percentage, people often neglect the big 3 caluza elements of current diagnosis, in service event or aggravation, and nexus.  This does not work out well with the Vet.  IF you are already SC for hypertension, then you need only a current diagnosis and nexus, since a in service event would have already been established for your sc hypertension.  Its like figuring out what you are going to do with the lottery money, then forgetting all about buying a lottery ticket.  

With all this said, you should apply right away..renal failure is serious.  

Thanks Brocovet for being upfront!  I do need to get Sc'd on the renal but I'm waiting for a repeat lab test in May and then I'll take the sC step along with about 6 other defects to be sc'd.  Dunno why they want another repeat lab test because it's an ongoing problem over many years.  I just wanted an idea on the percentages.

Ok.  Lets calculate how much you will lose by waiting at least a month to apply.  Here is how to do this:

figure your dependendents, then lets just guess at 100 percent.  Subtract any comp you are already getting.  

Its probably close to 3000 dollars you will lose by waiting a month.  For me, I cant afford that, so I would apply right away.  By the time your application makes it way to the rater (usually months and months), you will have already performed this test, so it will be in evidence, but you will likely get whatever date you apply as the effective date.  

This may help you estimate your disability rating, if SC:

https://www.hillandponton.com/diabetes-kidney-disease/

Edited by broncovet

Not exactly.  The same reasons you are applying, are the same reasons to apply EARLIER.  Apparently you are looking for an increse, which would be some type of SMC.  

For example, if you got SMC S, by getting additional disabilities totalling 60 percent, then it would make a difference of about 350 dollars.  

Unless there is another compelling reason, if you dont think this will push you to SMC S, then there probably is no reason to apply.  

My suggestion is to decide and apply now, or not at all.  Procrastinating wont help you, and it could hurt you.