Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Signing Up For Va Health Care

Rate this question

evandc

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Does anyone have an idea how I can do all the following in one visit.

1. Get vet into system

2. Get ID card picture taken

3. Get his meds written to fill same day at VA

This vet is 70ish & has been covered on his Wife's Insurance for his meds. This month they notified him that he could no longer get meds. He has about 9 years in Aif Force starting in 1953.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Don Evans

USAF

Vietnam Vet

100% PTSD (70%, 30% TDIU)

100% Prostate Cancer from Exposure to Agent Orange

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Hopefully he has his DD214 somewhere. If not he'll at a minimum need his social security card, drivers license and any other form of i.d. and military document if at all possible (Medicare).

I hate to say it, but your best bet is to have him go to the emergency room before normal operating hours and complain of poor health condition. They'll ask him about his military service but will more likely than not do an in-process, process photo card request to be mailed to him and hopefully get his meds.

It's not like the VA to do anything real fast doing it the VA way so this is the only shortcut I can advise. They'll take his word on veteran status because they can't refuse him, but he'll need to get proof to them pretty quick. If he needs his DD214 it can be obtained from the archives system. I don't have the web-site info at the house but you can e-mail me at work tomorrow if someone else doesn't shoot it to you.

thomas.mccann@state.tn.us

Don:

I just called the nearest VAMC and ask some of the same questions. I was told they had to mail me some forms to fill out so I could be assigned a primary care physician and then an appointment would be set up.Waiting on the forms. I know they will try and set all your appointments on the same day.

Cavman

Guest rickb54

If he is not service connected I doubt he will receive treatment. The va is not accepting any veteran for medical care at this time unless thay has a service connected disability. I doubt he will recieve treatment or an Id card on the first visit. I have moved twice in the last three years, and both times I had to provide a copy of my awards letter as proff of service connection and then had to wait over 30 days for an appointment at which time I was told I would get my new picture ID card.

I wish him the best of luck, but in todays world he won't be treated (hope I am wrong) hell va can't even support the new veterans coming back from Iraq.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you don't live to far from a VAMC take him there and sign in up. Even if they will not treat get him into the system. It annoys me that the VA treats so many who are not Veterans and than turns Veterans down.

By the way if the Veteran is ill they can always decide to take him in no matter what his classification.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.