Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Shows Me Rated At 10%-but Forgot To Tell Me!

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

I have a claim in to the VA for my heart. I am currently in "Ratings" since Jan 1, 07, to see if I am SC for my heart. I just returned from an appointment with my VSO. He called the VARO and they told him that I was already SC at 10% for my heart condition. Nobody at VA has ever told me that I am SC for my heart and I have not received my 10% or any money from the VA or anybody else for over 40 years.

I received a medical discharge for my heart from the Navy in 1966. At that time I received approximately $37.00 or $45.00 a month (can't remember exact amount- 40 years ago) This was compensation from the Navy or VA for disability. I received this amount for approximately 3 months and then the payments stopped without any notice.

Does anyone know how I can find out how long I have been SC at 10% and what can I do about it? I have not been receiving any money from anybody.

Also I am trying to find out how I can get copies of the paper work that shows I was recieving this monthly payment for 3 months back in 1966. I requested info from NPR but they don't have any info on this.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

bm6546,

When you said;

"When I got out of the Navy in 1966 I moved around a few times like everyone does. I am sure I did not let the VA know my new address"

you answered you're own question. If you were receiving a disability compensation check from VA and you moved without telling them, and the checks started to be retured to VA from the Post Office, then VA had to stop the paynments. This doesn't mean that you aren't service-connected anymore, it just means the VA was unable to forward any payments to you for your disability.

§3.158 Abandoned claims.

(a) General. Except as provided in §3.652 of this part, where evidence requested in connection with an original claim, a claim for increase or to reopen or for the purpose of determining continued entitlement is not furnished within 1 year after the date of request, the claim will be considered abandoned. After the expiration of 1 year, further action will not be taken unless a new claim is received. Should the right to benefits be finally established, pension, compensation, dependency and indemnity compensation, or monetary allowance under the provisions of 38 U.S.C. chapter 18 based on such evidence shall commence not earlier than the date of filing the new claim. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501(a))

(B) Department of Veterans Affairs examinations. Where the veteran fails without adequate reason to respond to an order to report for Department of Veterans Affairs examination within 1 year from the date of request and payments have been discontinued, the claim for such benefits will be considered abandoned.

© Disappearance. Where payments of pension, compensation, dependency and indemnity compensation, or monetary allowance under the provisions of 38 U.S.C. chapter 18 have not been made or have been discontinued because a payee’s present whereabouts is unknown, payments will be resumed effective the day following the date of last payment if entitlement is otherwise established, upon receipt of a valid current address.

[27 FR 11887, Dec. 1, 1962, as amended at 28 FR 13362, Dec. 10, 1963; 52 FR 43063, Nov. 9, 1987; 62 FR 51278, Sept. 30, 1997; 67 FR 49586, July 31, 2002]

Vike 17

Vike 17

I called the 800# and talked to some guy in "Claims" . He said that, yes I am SC at 10% and have been for some time (he couldn't tell for how long but did say it was "a while").

He wants me to write a letter to my VARO and explain exactly what happened. He said they will investigate and if I have not been receiving my payments and I am still active, I will be getting all my back payments that they owe me for the last 40 years. He said this could take some time while they sort this out.

He also said that requesting a copy of my c file right now would not be a good idea. He suggested I wait until I hear something from "Ratings". The investigation of my back payments has no impact on my current claim.

Brian

Brian- yes TDIU and IU are the same thing-

I just wish the vet rep had told you to file this form sooner---

Getting a copy of your c file at this point would hold up the claim- by a few weeks- maybe it is best to do what the 800# rep said-

as this is a finance problem and the finance division usually works a lot faster than the claims department-

WOW- sounds like you can expect some nice retro- then again you could have used this a lot sooner-

it is a shame when this happens and sometimes vets are reluctant to even look into situations like this- I am glad you did.

Is all this info in your present claim that they are working on?

"My SSDI is for depression and axiety attacks caused from my heart attack on Jan 25, 06. With the VA I am claiming heart problems that I was discharged with in 1966. I will also be claiming as a second claim my depression with anxiety brought on by my heart attack and related heart problems."

If you told us- forgive me but I already forget---what is the 10% SC for?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Brian- yes TDIU and IU are the same thing-

I just wish the vet rep had told you to file this form sooner---

Getting a copy of your c file at this point would hold up the claim- by a few weeks- maybe it is best to do what the 800# rep said-

as this is a finance problem and the finance division usually works a lot faster than the claims department-

WOW- sounds like you can expect some nice retro- then again you could have used this a lot sooner-

it is a shame when this happens and sometimes vets are reluctant to even look into situations like this- I am glad you did.

Is all this info in your present claim that they are working on?

"My SSDI is for depression and axiety attacks caused from my heart attack on Jan 25, 06. With the VA I am claiming heart problems that I was discharged with in 1966. I will also be claiming as a second claim my depression with anxiety brought on by my heart attack and related heart problems."

If you told us- forgive me but I already forget---what is the 10% SC for?

Berta-

The 10% SC is for my heart. In 1966 I was medically discharged with PAT - Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia. I signed some papers and within a couple of months I was getting a check for a small amount, $38 or $44 a month (not sure of the exact amount) After approx 3 or 4 months my payments stopped for reasons unknown at this time. That is the mystery. After calling the 800# they told me I am still in the computer showing SC at 10% for my heart.

My question to you or anyone else that can answer this:

Should I send a letter to the VARO now and have them investigate my back payments or should I wait until I get an answer from "Ratings" on my claim. Once I have an answer from Claims should I send for a copy of my C file and then have VARO check on my back payments. I guess my concern is that I don't want to take a chance that someone at the VA might remove any paperwork that would stop me from possibly getting my back payments. Or am I being a little paranoid? The VA wouldn't do that, would they?......................................WELL, WOULD THEY?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, ....I think!! B)

Thank you,

Brian

I would sure want the cash! You could direct this letter to the VARO- Attention Finance department- and get the support of your vet rep to follow this through-

although we all worry that whatever we do can hold up our claims longer- the reality is they take time anyhow-

if your claim is successfully awarded then the VA already has the 10% and your mailing address squared away and can raise that amount and then make sure you get that next check right away-when you get an award.

Rating boards can mean months -my claim had been in and out of "rating boards" for years.

If I were you I would get your money first- I dont think it will really take Finance too long to square this away-

they sent me more money with 3-4 weeks when I caught VARO math errors.

I have VA paranoia too-pays to have some- make sure the vet rep or you have documentation of the 10% award so the 40 year old award letter can't suddenly mysteriously 'disappear'.But I really dont think it will.

I would sure want the cash! You could direct this letter to the VARO- Attention Finance department- and get the support of your vet rep to follow this through-

although we all worry that whatever we do can hold up our claims longer- the reality is they take time anyhow-

if your claim is successfully awarded then the VA already has the 10% and your mailing address squared away and can raise that amount and then make sure you get that next check right away-when you get an award.

Rating boards can mean months -my claim had been in and out of "rating boards" for years.

If I were you I would get your money first- I dont think it will really take Finance too long to square this away-

I have VA paranoia too-pays to have some- make sure the vet rep or you have documentation of the 10% award so the 40 year old award letter can't suddenly mysteriously 'disappear'.But I really dont think it will.

Berta,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have anything in writing that shows I have a sc 10% award and I am pretty sure that my VSO doesn't either. We found this out by calling the 800# and it was verified by 2 different people. How can I get a copy of my award letter from 1966 or any other evidence that will support the fact that I am sc at 10%.

Thanks,

Brian B)