Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Illness Question

Rate this question

scoeas1982

Question

HI Guys, 

I was diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 while i was in the military. I had a tough go due to things i would rather not explain here. I was issues an OTH, and have never really thought about it after I was discharged. I have had a private psy for years, and she has told me to look into. I have read and read, but IM trying to figure out is it worth it to try to file a claim with an OTH. I had a pattern of misconduct, and well I just wanted out. I was told many times by my command i was crazy, and could hack the miltary life. Fast forward 20 years, and Im still sick. I have been waiting almost 14 months for my health records, but they still havent came. I am pretty content with my current psy and dont wiash to switch. My question I guess is this. With an OTH from 20 years ago what can i expect to possibly gain for filing a claim with the VA? I know that no one can possibly predict the outcome, but if its something like I get a free psy the rest of my life, or if they want to shove prescripts down my throat. Is their anything beneficial I could possibly get out of it like benefits, my VA benefits, back pay. Im sorry I konw this may sound one sided, but the things i was put through and the things that were done to me while I served....Well I would just like to know best case scenerio worst case scenerio. Also for the love of god how can i get my medical records . If it all possible I would like to speak to berta about this. She has talked to me once before about 6 years back. I dont remember how or why but she told me about this forum. 

Edited by scoeas1982

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes you  have that right to file just like  just as any Veteran  would & as for as the OTH  They do accept them. you need a PTSD Diagnose from the VA before you file  and medical records to show you had this horrific disease  you were diagnose  in the Military.

. Ms berta will probably be on and can help you  ..hmm, I'd say she is attending Church this am.  check back after lunch.

Welcome to Hadit.

Welcome to Hadit

Hi Chief,

I have already read all of this. I just was looking for people who have had succes stories of actaull getting benefits based on mental illness, and also getting an unfair OTH.

https://www.vets.gov/discharge-upgrade-instructions/questions

I assume you filed a SF 180 for your Medical records from the Military. I hope you also asked for your 201 Personnel file as well on the SF 180 form .

The instructions above advise to get a vet rep or VSO and to file for a Character of Discharge at your VARO at the same time you apply for a upgrade via DOD-which you can do at the above link.

Also you need to follow up with the SF 180 records request- that seems to be taking way too long.

With an OTH from 20 years ago what can i expect to possibly gain for filing a claim with the VA?”

An OTH not only prevents compensation from being paid for a legitimate service connected issue , which can impact their dependents as well, the stigma negatively affects veterans who seek employment as well as other benefits.

We have plenty of info here on Bad Paper or OTH discharges avaialable under a hadirt seag

If it all possible I would like to speak to berta about this. “

I have no expertise on this issue , it is all handled on a case by case basis and the steps in the link have to be followed. The only bad paper vet I helped personally was over 30 years ago, and he had a HD that preceded a Court Marshall and UD (Undesirable Discharge) 2 enlistments) It was an easy case, because of the prior HD, and a pardon from President Carter-many Army  vets US Army kicked out with bad paper because the US Army at that time overbooked their need and had too many new recruits. Frget what year- it was Peacetime.And I gave a former member here a pep talk when she went through the BCMR and had a hearing. She also had a HD prior to the separate enlistment with a OTH.

I do not do emails or phone calls on claims issues.

I did one or two radio shows here on the Hagel Memo which has definitely helped OTH vets, and if you  search here for Hagel memo ( or at the radio show archives) maybe you had called into the show and I advised coming to hadit.

If you do a hadit search our OTH members posts will pop up.

A VSO would be the one to speak to, as they can handle your Character of Discharge claim.