Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU and eBenefits.com

Rate this question

n2guns

Question

When granted TDIU, where can that be found on the eBenefits website? I applied for TDIU a couple of months ago and just received a sizable retroactive pay and can't figure it out. I was 70% (50, 30, 10, 10) and my rating was raised to 80% (Now 70, 30, 10, 10) with the new C&P, but the retro pay is a lot more than two months (or four months - see below) of difference between 70 and 80%. Oddly, I can make the retro pay numbers work two different ways if I crunch the numbers. The retro pay adds up to the $250 difference if I calculate all the way back to my original decision letter. I don't think that is it though because I didn't file an appeal and it was well over a year ago. I can also make the retro pay numbers work if I calculate back to the beginning of this TDIU claim but... When they scheduled my C&P for the TDIU, I told them that I wouldn't be able to make it because I was scheduled for double bypass surgery a few days before that. They said "don't worry about it. we will reschedule it later." Needless to say, a couple of months later, I got a letter denying TDIU because I had no new evidence and I failed to make my appointment. I called them after receiving the letter and they reopened the case. If I calculate the $250 difference from the original date for two month, until the reopening date, and two months of retro pay for the difference between 70 and 100%, the numbers work also. The website says a determination letter was mailed but I don't expect to see it until next week.
I check all over eBenefits site and even the letter generator. The letter generator says 80% (up from 70%) effective March 01, 2018. The total of the four pay dates since then with a difference of $249.77 per month would be just under $1,000 retro pay. The amount of the retro pay was just over $4,000. If I count the difference between 70% and 100% since the reopening date (two months ago) and the $250 differences, it comes close to $4,000. I'm not sure if they prorate partial month payments but the reopen date was the 6th of the month. That is as close as I can come to the actually amount of retro pay but nowhere on eBenefits does it say anything but 80%. I am just a little lost...

Sorry for the long post and thanks for taking the time to read it 🙂

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

On the main menu under Your VA Letters select Letter Generator.  Then select Benefit Summary - Veterans Benefits.  Select Generate Benefit Summary Letter, this letter will tell you.  Look for the statement "You are being paid at the 100 percent rate because you are unemployable due to your service-connected disabilities:"  It will also give you your monthly payment amount.

That sounds like what I am going to have to do. I am pretty much expecting it to say 80% like eBenefits shows but that doesn't explain the amount of retroactive pay. I have a few appointments next week. I will try to stop by their accounting/finance office and see if they can shed any light on it.

Thanks for your input and have a great day.