Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need advise on preparing a new claim for Compensation On PTSD

Rate this question

Sharm

Question

I was diagnose with Chronic Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (309.81) in 2014.

It was not included in my initial VA exam in 2009, as I wasn't even aware of it...I keep it in denial for many years. However, a time came when I broke. I went to see my Doctor and was referred directly to Behavioral Health.

I was being seen at the Landstuhl Behavioral Health (Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany) for over two years. A change in both my Psychiatrist, and Psychologist but all went well with the transition. However, with personnel and budget cuts my time at Landstuhl ended and was told that I could be recommended to an outside provider, as I could no longer be seen there as a retiree. I had my last session, and that was it for me...never went to an outside provider, as I don't trust them and or locations that is not within a military community. It took me a long time to trust the Doctors I had in the Military (Contractor) but no way I would trust someone outside. 

I haven't been seen in about 2 1/2 years now, never made a claim with the VA for this, as it was after my VA exam in 2009...should I put a claim in for this, if so where do I begin. I'm starting to feel some of the anxiety and depression again, as well as anger. I been keeping it under control for now. 

My next question is in reference to the attachment, do I file for PTSD with secondary of anxiety and autonomic arousal? This is my first new claim, and we do not have VSO's here in Germany. Any advise and or pointer would be most helpful.

Any help would be appreacheiate.    

PTSD Leter.PDF

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Please hang on to this letter from your Doc it certainly can come in handy as it is an official medical record and diagnose for PTSD.

Normally without this type of letter you would need these things I mention below.

I would suggest you go to your VAMC MH Dept ask to be evaluated for a Mental Disorder to an unspecified disorder like anxiety and PTSD and  even though you have a PTSD Diagnoses, the diagnose needs to be by the VA.For compensation purposes.

Once they Dx you for chronic PTSD, you need to start a therapy program from the VA or private , and get the help you so badly need.

to start your claim  you need a VA PTSD Diagnose ,an event that happen in military  a trauma event, you will need a couple of stressor's  unless you were in combat and have the CIB?

You need records of evidence of the event and describe the event as a trauma event  that it was so unbearable it was traumatizing to you and  years later you finally seeking help because the pain was so hard to bare on you and your family

when you file a claim this is what you need above and these 3 parts to be included in your claim

THE 3 Things to put a PTSD Claim together are 

1. VA PTSD Diagnoses

2. A Stressor Event (what was traumatizing to you?)

3.Nexus: This is the link between the veteran’s current PTSD diagnosis and their in-service stressor; the veteran’s current diagnosis must be related to their in-service stressor. The nexus must be proven by medical evidence such as an opinion from a qualified doctor. Another great resource for establishing a nexus is records from a Vet Center. Vet Centers have licensed social workers that will take the time to document the connection between the veteran’s stressor and their current diagnosis.

VA Concedes the stressor for combat Veterans   that have a CIB (Combat Infantry Badge) it will show on your DD 214

Lay statment from you and your spouse  (if married) describing your change in behavior before military and after.

Note: Other members can chime in here   because if your still in the military I don't want to give you and false information.

I am not sure how active personal would file a PTSD Claim  While still being Active.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!