VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is it CUE to infer a secondary condition, deny it on direct SC only....

Rate this question

uturn

Question

Hi. Here's what I've got. In 2014 I sought SC for SLE. The VARO inferred secondary conditions listed in my supporting statement. Because they did that I submitted DBQs from docs stating those were secondary to SLE. I also submitted STR evidence that I had symptoms of both SLE and the secondaries in service. The SLE was denied July 10, 2015 and also secondaries of Fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome. A third secondary for Raynaud's remained open, and I had a C&P exam on July 17, 2015 which opined that my service records were not specific enough for DIRECT SC, and it said nothing about secondary since the SLE was not on the table, having been denied the week before. The examiner did not review my claims file or private medical records, including the DBQs noting that my Raynaud's was secondary to SLE. I sought reconsideration of the SLE claim denied July 10 with a THIRD expert opinion on the symptoms in my STR. That was granted on September 11, 2015. In the same letter my Raynaud's secondary condition was denied, but only contained a discussion of lack of specific symptoms for DIRECT SC. But of course the back of the rating letter lists my expert Raynaud's DBQs as secondary to SLE as "in evidence."  It seems clear to me that they denied the Raynaud's on a sort of separate track from the SLE that they granted, and once they granted the SLE they neglected to go back and consider my Raynaud's as secondary to my now SC SLE.  I had 2 or 3 expert opinions linking the SLE and Raynaud's. Is this CUE?

As for the Fibromyalgia and Sjogren's... the originally had inferred these secondary conditions to SLE but denied them on a direct basis at the same time as my SLE denial on July 10, 2015.  Once they upon reconsideration granted my SLE in September of 2015, was it CUE not to infer those conditions also for reconsideration? They had inferred them in the first place. They also had listed my numerous expert reports linking those conditions to my SLE, but did no analysis of them because they had denied my SLE claim on the same date of July 10, 2015. 

Also on these secondaries, I have found one Board opinion stating that a rating decision on the primary condition itself is New and Material Evidence to support a request to reopen a claim for a secondary condition to it. But is anyone aware of any better CAVC or more "official" opinions or regulations about this policy? 

Also, on CUE, do you think it was CUE to deny a secondary depression claim outright for a missed C&P for which I did not get notice? They had my homeless certifications in my file. And the regs say that they cannot deny an original claim solely for a missed C&P. I had submitted statements on my status, my granted SSDI records finding depression secondary to SLE that they obviously considered severe, and also my therapists SSDI questionnaire. And there were a few VA notations of me "appearing depressed" as well during other treatment visits. So I argued to the VARO that it was CUE not to at least just grant the SC with a zero percent rating. Even if they had gotten a C&P exam, I had two experts, one an SSDI doctor, stating that my depression was secondary to SLE. Is that not CUE? 

Sorry to ask so many questions at once.

Thanks very much.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"They scheduled a psych C&P next week too, right in Florence SC, which is FLOODED by the hurricane! So I am trying to get my C&Ps rescheduled again. Also my car was damaged in the hurricane so I cannot drive it and they have no rides because the C&Ps are 2 hours away. I am not having success reaching someone to reschedule them again."

The Main VA web site has this notice:

"Alert

VA is monitoring current storm and weather activities. Veterans may contact the Veterans Disaster Response Line at 1-800-507-4571 and can also download VA’s Disaster Assistance Brochure

Veterans in the Mid-Atlantic regions can follow updates regarding VA Medical Centers closures and evacuations at our website. (Hurricane Florence)"

I dont know if the 800# above can help you but I suggest you use the Contact Us button at the site, click on it, then click on Ask a Question and you will be directed to IRIS-where you can tell them your problem.

https://www.va.gov/

If you mean the William Jennings Bryan Dorn VAMC, their site says they are open:

"Situation Update

As of Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:00 AM EDT

Normal operations."

https://www.columbiasc.va.gov/emergency/index.asp

5 hours ago, Berta said:

"They scheduled a psych C&P next week too, right in Florence SC, which is FLOODED by the hurricane! So I am trying to get my C&Ps rescheduled again. Also my car was damaged in the hurricane so I cannot drive it and they have no rides because the C&Ps are 2 hours away. I am not having success reaching someone to reschedule them again."

The Main VA web site has this notice:

"Alert

VA is monitoring current storm and weather activities. Veterans may contact the Veterans Disaster Response Line at 1-800-507-4571 and can also download VA’s Disaster Assistance Brochure

Veterans in the Mid-Atlantic regions can follow updates regarding VA Medical Centers closures and evacuations at our website. (Hurricane Florence)"

I dont know if the 800# above can help you but I suggest you use the Contact Us button at the site, click on it, then click on Ask a Question and you will be directed to IRIS-where you can tell them your problem.

https://www.va.gov/

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Berta said:

If you mean the William Jennings Bryan Dorn VAMC, their site says they are open:

"Situation Update

As of Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:00 AM EDT

Normal operations."

https://www.columbiasc.va.gov/emergency/index.asp

No, there's a private contractor in Florence SC and the roads are flooded, and there's another in Charleston but the road down to there next week will be flooded through Georgetown and that is the only reasonable way to get there. Basically I am on an island at this point with all the roads around me expected to flood this week and we expect to lose our water supply. I will have to reschedule my appointments and I will try those numbers, thank you.

Don't miss a C&P ever.  Honestly, you might have to swim.  The VA will not care about a flood, or better yet, "next week will be flooded" will not hold water.  

I would call someone at the VA and confirm that "THEY" cancelled your C&P and have them get that to you on paper.

If you don't go, and the doc shows up and marks down you did not show.  Good look getting that straightened out.

The bastards are looking for anything to muck the works up.

And then your benefits stop,

Hamslice

Berta- While building a really excellent §3.156(c) appeals argument for the oral at a Travel Board last Thursday, I ran across this one. The VLJ  stopped the hearing and said 'Whoa, hoss. MacWhorter? I gotta look that one up." VLJ was Cherry Crawford, a senior judge and supervises a lot of the newer VLJs. She began there in 2005. I had her for three terminally ill cases Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. We were like peas and carrots by Wednesday. Here's MacWhorter. Pretty good ju-ju for those jackwads when they forget to rebut you. I used it because the DRO surrendered on a SSOC and gave me a VA8 instead. She had the IQ of my pet rock. I rhetorically insinuated the M 21's non sequitur into my oral by saying ' The VA examiner stated the M 21 demands ...". She whacked me in mid-sentence (as I expected) and said "The Board doesn't use the M 21." I acted stupid and nodded. I hope she remembers that next month when she signs the grant.

"But see MacWhorter v. Derwinski, 2 Vet.App. 133, 136 (1991). “Yet, "[w]here [an] appellant has presented a legally plausible position . . . and the Secretary has failed to respond appropriately, the Court deems itself free to assume . . . the points raised by [the] appellant, and ignored by [VA], to be conceded.” 

I also like to use that daisy from Comer v Peake where they said "The VA appeals process is not meant to be a trap for the unwary etc." 

The more we know, the more dangerous we become. 

Edited by asknod