VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

aid and attendance-mental

Rate this question

andrewdc

Question

As I have posted before I am smc s + K. I recently received a 100% mental rating. In addition, the va has proposed incompetence. I really don't have much issue with that as my wife has to handle our finances anyway. Because of my mental health outcome, I now have applied for a&a. The Psychologist remarks said " The previously rated mild neurocognitive impairment has progressed ; symptoms now meet full criteria for a major neurocognitive disorder with multiple etiologies (copd, asthma, Severe obstructive sleep apnea) due to severity of memory and concentration impairment and the significant impact they have on the vets activities of daily living. An additional diagnosis with mixed anxiety and depressed mod is also provided and is considere4d a direct progression of the neurocognitive disorder as symptoms developed in response to difficulty adjusting to memory decline and associated functional impairments.

under competency she wrote " the current severity of memory impairment would prevent the vet from effectively managing his financial affairs. She also recommended that I not use potentially dangerous equipment at home. and acknowledged my wife helps with hygene issues and must administer all medications as he forgets to take them as required. The vet has gotten lost and disoriented credited while driving.

So, would her report be sufficient evidence for a7a

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I would like it better if it mentioned which ADL's she was referring to.  I think this report is "marginal".  You really need a doc who says you need help with things such as eating, bathing, toileting, getting dressed etc., just as it says in the critieria for SMC L (Aid and Attendance).  Usually, VA wont "connect the dots" between your doctor saying you need assistance with ADL's, and those specifically in the criteria.  

I would like it better if it mentioned which ADL's she was referring to.  I think this report is "marginal".  You really need a doc who says you need help with things such as eating, bathing, toileting, getting dressed etc., just as it says in the critieria for SMC L (Aid and Attendance).  Usually, VA wont "connect the dots" between your doctor saying you need assistance with ADL's, and those specifically in the criteria.  

While this "might" do the trick, its been my experience if there is any doubt, the VA simply denies.  

5 minutes ago, broncovet said:

While this "might" do the trick, its been my experience if there is any doubt, the VA simply denies.  

she also made comments such as : Severe memory and concentration impairments, difficulty understanding complex commands, anxiety, insominia

vets wife has to provide significant assistance at home due to vets memory problems. he is no longer able top prepare meals, manage his medications, and remember to engage in hygiene practices, manage finances, or manage his own medical care. His wife is now assisting with all of these activities of daily living to varying degrees.  He has left the stove on multiple times while preparing food resulting in burnt pans and smoke damage. 

6 minutes ago, andrewdc said:

she also made comments such as : Severe memory and concentration impairments, difficulty understanding complex commands, anxiety, insominia

vets wife has to provide significant assistance at home due to vets memory problems. he is no longer able top prepare meals, manage his medications, and remember to engage in hygiene practices, manage finances, or manage his own medical care. His wife is now assisting with all of these activities of daily living to varying degrees.  He has left the stove on multiple times while preparing food resulting in burnt pans and smoke damage. 

This is from the va decision letter:

We have assigned a 100% eval based on:

Memory loss for own occupation

occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas

intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living

depressed mood

spatial disorientation

impaired judgment

chronic sleep impairment\memory loss for own name

impaired abstract thinking

difficulty in adapting to stressful situations

neglect of personal; appearance and hyena

difficulty in adapting to work

impairment of short and long term memory

difficulty in adapting to work like setting

anxiety

memory loss for names of close relatives

The overall evidentiary records shows ther severity of your disability most closely approximates the criteria of 100%

Ok, but make no mistake here:  100 percent for mental "does not" equal SMC L (Aid and Attendance) automatically.  The criteria for SMC L is seperate and it sounds like that is what you are seeking "not just" 100 percent.