Rate this question

LCK

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

The Veteran is "competent" to give lay testimony, but not competent to give medical testimony.  You dont need a Phd to describe a noisey room.  Again, the Board decides whether or not your testimony is "credible".  In my case, the Board decision in 2004 said that my testimony was credible as it was consistent with the facts known.  Sometimes, however, the board can decide the Veterans testimoney is not credible, but they have to give a reasons and bases as to why that testimony was not credible.  Maybe Berta can remember the case law which explains this.  (Or alex).  I read it, just dont remember where.  

I'm asking for my buddy who served on the USS Edward McDonnell, DE1043.  He spent four years down in the engine room and now has tinnitus and hearing issues.  I have tinnitus myself, from service in the artillery.  My claim went through without question because of the artillery connection.  I was hoping to find sound level information about that ship, for him to use in a nexus letter to support his claim.  I haven't found anything on the internet, YET.  Thank you Broncovet and Buck 52, for your help.

3 hours ago, LCK said:

I'm asking for my buddy who served on the USS Edward McDonnell, DE1043

just one thing to be aware of concerning the tables in Fast Letter 1-35 that Berta linked too

4 hours ago, Berta said:

I have found in looking into my own claims that there are some other versions of the MOS /NEC chart shown in that letter. Some can be found hosted on State VA Department sites. Tenn is one of them.

IN those alternative charts the rating level of probable sound hazard are sometimes different for some job codes.

In my own tinnitus statement the rater said my job was moderately probable, when in fact the 10-35 table says Highly Probable.

I don't know the reasons for the differences, just that your buddy should use the copy Berta linked to in their disagreement with the decision. Make the VA show different standards.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:35 PM, LCK said:

How can I document noise level on frigate USS Edward McDonnell.  Need it for tinnitus claim.

Thanks,  larry.k

Thanks to all who have helped me with this issue!  We have a plan now.  We are looking for a doctor who will do the hearing.tinnitus exam. and produce a letter of condition, which we will use to support the claim.  Thank you again for all your help.  larry.k

Dont discount lay testimony.  YOU are competent to describe noise in your work environment.  You cant state decible levels, but you can opine that it was noisey and you could not hear conversations when near noisey equipment.