VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Know the CAVC case, cite?

Rate this question

propp3

Question

A few years back read a CAVC cite that in effect said 'RO can't ignore request by C&P examiner for a test, diagnostics, they deem necessary'. Stupid me, I didn't write it down or if I did, I can't locate it now when I need it. Been googlin' but Google produces way too many hits to wade thru. Then I found this at the BVA appeals search page:

“The Board notes that the Court of Veterans Appeals(COVA) has indicated that the VA cannot ignore requests for diagnostic studies suggested by its own physicians”

The BVA docket # is 91-37 953, and I believe the year is 1995, that the Board remanded it back to the RO using the language above. So I'm not nuts...the BVA was referring to a CAVC(COVA back then) opinion.

I just can't find that COVA case cite. Anyone have an idea?

I'd like to use it in a CUE argument that'll probably get to the BVA sometime next year, late 2019 if I'm lucky, and I'm condensing/clarifying and adding clarity in preparation.

Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

https://www.ravellaw.com/opinions/e9fe748f662c2e7f81fa5cd421b05560

Hyder- see paragraph 33

"Notwithstanding the recommendation, the clear authority, and the statutory obli­gation to assist, the BVA concluded that the veteran was not entitled to the benefit of the “doctrine of reasonable doubt” un­der 38 U.S.C. § 3007(b) (1988), because “the evidence currently of record does not per­mit the Board to grant the benefit sought on this appeal.” Hyder, at 6. The denial of the claim cannot be permitted to stand where, as here, the VA breached the statu­tory duty to assist by not conducting the supplemental examination recommended by its own physician. -- Hyder v. Derwinski, 1 Vet. App. 221, 225 (CAVC 1991)"

Lots of other citations there as well.