VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Widows of Disabled Vets

Rate this question

christiane41

Question

Hi. I am new to this forum. My husband is a disabled vet with a 100% rating. We have been married for 42 years. Unfortunately we were never able to get life insurance and his SS benefits are very low. My question. In the event that my husband would pass before I would, do i understand this correctly that all of his disability payment will go away? Other than his SS I won't have much to live on. So here is my question. Is there possibly some financial help the VA offers for widows in this case? I read some place about DIC payments. But i was not sure if that applied to me. My husband is 64 and I am 59. Thank you in advance. 

Christiane

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I just read the award letter. Effective Feb 2002, he was assigned permanent 100% disability for service connected disability.,in addition to being unable to go to work due to service connected disability"

He would fit into the ten year DIC criteria-in the link above from the VA.

With 100% service connection in effect for over 10 years-that is continuous until he dies, they would grant the DIC.

The inservice Vietnam  problem would not be an issue- an his death would make the 100% rating Permanent as well as Total.

But it appear to me that you do not get CHAMPVA benefits ( VA Health care program for dependents of 100% P & T veterans) and you would get them if the VA delares his service disabilities as Permanent now.

A 100% P & T rating also garners DEA Educational benefits for a spouse and any children under 26.

There is a lot to this program under a search here for Chapter 35 -(the DEA benefits) as well as CHAMPVA.

I have both and they are wonderful- No problems with CHAMPVA at all-and if you sign up for meds by mail, with VA , there is no 50$ co pay for the meds.

I finished  my degree with Chapter 35   also known as  DEA Dependents Educational Assistance. What a savings there.

"The Veteran died from a non service-related injury or disease, but was receiving, OR was entitled to receive, VA Compensation for service-connected disability that was rated as totally disabling

• For at least 10 years immediately before death, OR
  • Since the Veteran's release from active duty and for at least five years immediately preceding death,"
  • (source VA link in this thread)

Hi Berta

I am beginning to feel a little better with your answers.Thank you. I do receive ChampVA. Since it is free I am very grateful for the insurance. Sometimes the 20% i still owe when i see a doctor is a bunch in and of itself. However, i won't complain. If i understand right, when i turn 65 I have to stop using Champva due to the fact that I have to take Medicare? I only take one medication at this time. I know there is Meds by Mail available too. WE have a VA hospital in Topeka Ks. I asked them if they allow Champva recipients to be seen there. They said they were so busy with Vets that they don't have time for beneficiaries. That makes sense. 

If i was any younger, the help with education would be great. I never really understood that. If my husband should pass before I would, do i turn to the VA or DAV for help initially? Berta, have a good weekend. We have exceptional weather for January. Makes me wonder when the other shoe will drop. 

Christiane 🙂

CHRISTIANE:

No, you dont lose Champva when you turn 65, but you do have to purchase Medicare Part B

(Medicare part a is free when you turn 65).  Part B is currently about 135 per month.  It should help cover the 20 percent/ co pays deductables etc.  

Oh I see, so Medicare part B acts like a gap insurance then. I have looked into gap insurance in addition to ChampVa. They all mentioned that the coverage stops with age 65 due to medicare. But now I understand that it stops because I will purchase Part B. A picture is beginning to form. Thank you Berta

Christiane 🙂