Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnosed with Lupus

Rate this question

Sgt. Wilky

Question

Good Afternoon,

I was mailed a letter last May(ish) from the VA telling me they were going to remove service connection for three separate 10% rated conditions related to "undiagnosed illnessess" being I was an Iraq War veteran. that was granted by the BVA judge back in 2015. I immediately began scheduling appointments with a Neurologist who was very helpful and then my blood numbers came back, and she referred me to a Rheumatologist. After several consults and further blood work, my ANA numbers are way up and she firmly believes that I have Lupus (1 in 10 sufferers are males). Upon searching this website, in regards to lupus, there is not a lot that can be found out about it, so I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with DBQ forms and such. We're still in the process of documenting the findings and symptoms, and she (the Rheumatologist) used to work for the VHA in Maryland.

My conundrum is, I haven't heard from the VA regarding my appeal of the removal of service connection. I curious as to whether they dropped it or not. But then, if they do proceed, this will be new and material evidence on my behalf, and I'm wondering would this fall under the appeal, or would my "undiagnosed illness" now be diagnosed, and a new claim opened, and the removal of the others move forward?

Sgt. Wilky 

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

As I understand it they cannot reduce or remove a rating while it is still in appeal.  How long have you been SC and rated for these conditions?  There are protection for SC's over ten years old and ratings over five years with complete protection for a rating over twenty years.  Is Lupus presumptive for Iraq war veterans?  Otherwise you need the Caluza triangle.  That is a continuing disability, a service connection, and a medical nexus linking the two.