• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Backpay question

Rate this question

Avi8tor66

Question

I have a question concerning backpay. 

Background info...

i am retired with 21 years service. I just received my first VA check today   (reg monthly amount) for my 80% disability.  It was for 1 month. 

My question is where does the backpay come from? I know when you are retired they have to do an audit, and since I am qualified to receive all my retirement pay because I have over 50% disability,  and if I understand correctly, I should receive the full monthly VA amount from my filing date. 

I just don’t know where/who the backpay will come from, and also any idea as to how long it usually takes for the backpay to arrive? It’s been 3 months since approval, and the backpay would be for 6 months. 

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

You have it about right.  The effective date of your disability (for "backpay) is the later of the date you filed, or the facts found, that is, the date the doc said you were disabled. Since I dont know what the doc said in his report, I have no idea if you will get retro or not.  

There is at least one exception to the effecitive date rule, above:  If you applied within a year of discharge, your effective date should go back to the date of discharge.  

As you figured out, they will do an audit to resolve your military retirement/disability before you get your retro check, if you have one coming.  Its likely this will take "several months" and maybe even more with the government shut down.  

When you get your VA disability decision, it should state what the effective date is.  If you dispute this date, then file a nod as VA often gets it wrong.