HadIt.com Future: Zoom Meeting Dec 3, 2022 02:00 PM Mountain Time (US and Canada) - Join Us. ×
It Turns Out HadIt.com Is Not Dead Yet! ×

If dad is 100% disabled, and he goes to a NH, he loses his disability benefits, right..?

msh789

Question

Dad is 88 years old and is 100% disabled rated by the VA (actually 110%)...He told me today that he was talking to a 93 year old at the VA hospital, the 93 year old lives there, is a permanent resident. The 93 year old supposedly told dad that in addition to living at the VA, he still gets his 70% disability direct deposit every month... I could've swore when/if you go to a nursing home and the VA pays for the NH, that you lose your monthly disability money? I did a google search and can't seem to find anything, but I could swear I read that somewhere before.  Is that possible..? I find it hard to believe, I mean, I thought the disability money was to cover cost of living for the vet..? So if he goes to a NH, he would then lose the disabilty money,  right..?  I'm wondering if dad misheard (very hard of hearing), perhaps he misunderstood, or perhaps the 93 year old perhaps has Alzheimers and was perhaps was not fully communicating well..

1 answer to this question

This page and the links might help:

https://www.va.gov/GERIATRICS/Guide/LongTermCare/VA_Community_Living_Centers.asp

Also the VA web site has many options for in -home care.

The VA does not call these homes Nursing Homes anymore- they are called Community Living Centers:

https://www.va.gov/GERIATRICS/Guide/LongTermCare/VA_Community_Living_Centers.asp#

I think you might find more info at the eligibility tab at the above site.

• Like 1