HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

107%
    $1,608.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

Question

Can anyone make anything out of these... Is this Auto 10% in PFT?  What does dorcel de change come with?  Results:. Pulmonary hyperinflation is demonstrated.  Mild degenerative change is seen involving the dorcel spine. Uric acid 9.3 Pft: pre bronc:. Fvc71,fev1 71,fev1/fvc 99

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. It appears you may have tested positive for COPD or some other pulmonary condition. Your pft results are closest to a 10% rating if you claim it a

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Navy89 said:

Can anyone make anything out of these... Is this Auto 10% in PFT?  What does dorcel de change come with?  Results:. Pulmonary hyperinflation is demonstrated.  Mild degenerative change is seen involving the dorcel spine. Uric acid 9.3 Pft: pre bronc:. Fvc71,fev1 71,fev1/fvc 99

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

It appears you may have tested positive for COPD or some other pulmonary condition. Your pft results are closest to a 10% rating if you claim it and the condition is granted. 

I imagine they did an X-ray where mild degenerative changes were present with your spine. 

What I find interesting is your elevated Uric Acid (Normal Uric acid levels are 2.4-6.0 mg/dL (female) and 3.4-7.0 mg/dL (male)  could be a sign of a kidney issue that should be followed up on. Do you have problems with Gout or kidney stones?

Hope this helps you out.

IF you are diagnosed with COPD or another pulmonary condition here is how it is rated: 

Obstructive Lung Diseases

Obstructive lung diseases cause the airway to the lungs to become blocked. Often there is significant swelling of the tissues and the airways collapse easily. Most of these conditions are rated on the Respiratory Rating System, but some have some small differences.

Code 6600: Chronic bronchitis is the swelling of the bronchi in the lungs. The swelling causes them to narrow and block the passage of air.

Code 6603: Pulmonary emphysema is a disease that gets worse over time and is normally caused by smoking or being exposed to pollution for a long time. It causes the tissues that hold the shape of the lungs to die, thus causing the lungs to collapse and loose their shape.

Code 6604: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is simply the presence of chronic bronchitis and/or emphysema. It is rated exactly the same as both bronchitis and emphysema, and the code can be used interchangeably. If both are present, then only one rating can be given under this code.

Code 6601: Bronchiectasis is a condition where part of the bronchial tree becomes enlarged and causes obstruction of the airflow. This is a permanent condition that cannot be reversed.

It is either rated on the Respiratory Rating System or on incapacitating episodes below, whichever provides the highest rating. The definition of an “incapacitating episode” for rating this condition is a period where there is an active infection in the lungs, and it requires bed rest and treatment by a physician.

If there are a total of at least 6 weeks of incapacitating episodes each year, it is rated 100%.

If there are a total of 4 to 6 weeks of incapacitating episodes each year, or if there is constant coughing of mucous mixed with puss or blood that requires near-constant antibiotic treatment with anorexia and weight loss, it is rated 60%.

If there are a total of 2 to 4 weeks of incapacitating episodes each year, or if there is daily coughing occasionally of muscous mixed with puss or blood that requires between 4 to 6 weeks of antibiotic treatment 3 or more times a year, it is rated 30%.

If there is occasional coughing with infections requiring antibiotics 2 or more times a year, it is rated 10%.

Code 6602: Asthma is a condition where the airways and bronchi swell, causing them to close up.

This condition has slightly different rating requirements than the Respiratory Rating System. These are outlined in the table below.

It is important to note that it is difficult to get a proper test for asthma since the tests must be run while an attack is happening. An FEV-1 test done when there is not an attack will give normal results that will not properly define the condition. A methacoline challenge test is often done instead since the methacoline triggers an asthma attack. Once the methacoline is inhaled and an asthma attack begins, the spirometry tests are performed. After the tests are done, medications are given to treat the asthma attack. If spirometry is done with and without methacoline, the condition is rated on the methacoline results.

If FEV-1 and FVC tests with methacoline are not performed, then asthma can be rated based on the kind of medication that is used to treat the condition or on the severity of the condition based on the number of ER visits. In these cases, however, the physician must clearly record a thorough history of asthma attacks.

Test

Result/Condition

Rating

FEV-1

Less than 40%

100%

FEV-1

40-55%

60%

FEV-1

56-70%

30%

FEV-1

71-80%

10%

FEV-1/FVC

Less than 40%

100%

FEV-1/FVC

40-55%

60%

FEV-1/FVC

56-70%

30%

FEV-1/FVC

71-80%

10%

ER visits

2 or more attacks per week with respiratory failure that requires ER visits to save life

100%

ER visits

Requires monthly ER visits to save life

60%

Medication

Requires daily high doses of steroids or immunosuppressive medications taken by mouth or by injection*

100%

Medication

Requires the use of steroids or immunosuppressive medications taken by mouth or by injection 3 or more times a year*

60%

Medication

Requires occasional use of inhaled anti-inflammatory medication*

30%

Medication

Requires daily bronchodilator therapy taken by mouth or inhaled*

30%

Medication

Requires occasional bronchodilator therapy taken by mouth or inhaled*

10%

*A definition of these medications is listed below.

Swelling is the biggest problem with asthma, and so the majority of medications that treat asthma are for controlling swelling.

Swelling is often a reaction of the immune system to things it doesn’t like. Immunosuppressive medications suppress this response, allowing the airways to remain open in an asthma attack. Similarly, steroids taken by mouth or injection are able to greatly reduce swelling. Both of these treatments are only used for the most severe cases of asthma and only when all the other medications listed below do not satisfactorily treat the condition. Some of the most common medications in these categories are Prednisone, Prednisolone, Decadron, Deltasone, Dexamethasone, Medrol, Orasone, Pediapred, and Prelone.

Inhaled anti-inflammatory medications are steroids, but a smaller dose than oral or injected steroids. These reduce swelling and mucus production. They are used to prevent asthma attacks. Some of the most common medications in this category are Aerobid (Flunisolide), Flovent HFA (Flutocasone HFA), Azmacort (triamcinolone), Ipratropium Bromide (Atrovent), Asmanex, Pulmicort, and Qvar. The following are a combination of an anti-inflammatory medication and a bronchodilator (discussed next), but they are rated as anti-inflammatory medication: Advair (Fluticasone and Salmeterol), Duleva, and Symbicort.

Bronchodilators are used by pretty much anyone with asthma. These keep the bronchi from swelling and blocking the airway. They are all inhaled, and there are short-acting and long-acting bronchodilators. Short-acting ones are the rescue inhalers that work very quickly and last between 1 hour and 4 hours. Common short-acting bronchodilators include Proventil, Albuterol, Ventolin, Salbutamol, AccuNeb, Levosalbutamol, Levalbuteral, Xopenex, Terbutaline, Bricanyl, Pirbuteral, Maxair, Procaterol, Metaproterenol, Alupent, Fenoterol, Bitolterol mesylate, and Ritodrine.

Long-acting bronchodilators are used to control asthma and prevent attacks. Common long-acting bronchodilators include Sereveut, Salmeterol, Formoterol, Foradil, Symbicort, Bambuterol, Clenbuterol, and Indacaterol.

• Sad 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By Albsalin73
      Why might a veteran never have gotten the decision letter on a reversal on a claim that had been denied on service connection on PTSD? 
    • By TexasVeteran
      Has anyone ever heard of any of these three codes being given separate ratings? I realize these are all rated by the range of motion, with the only exception being IDS, which can be rated by how many times you are placed on bed rest (incapacitating episodes). I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about this, as some people seem to think there are special circumstances which the VA will separate at least some of these out. But, no one can explain what those circumstances would be.
      1. thoracolumbar strain (5237)    http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/thespine.html
      2. intervertebral disc syndrome (5243)
      3. ankylosing spondylitis (5243)
      4. degenerative arthritis (5003) http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/diseasesofthemusculoskeletalsystem.html#a
          ^^ This is in my spine but obviously not enough to be coded 5242, degenerative arthritis of the spine
    • By Nova22033
      I filed for an increase recently to my 40% rating. In August 2009 my rating was increased from 20% (awarded in 1994) to  1) ankylosing spondylitis /spine thoracolumbar 20%, 2) ankylosing spondylitis/knee 10%  3) ankylosing spondylitis/cervical spine  10%.
      Since then my range of motion has gotten worse and I have been prescribed prednisone and two years ago Humira. They had rated me under arthritis and range of motion. I went for a C&P in May and saw my new rating on Eben: 
      1) NEW: (dated 4/27/18) ankylosing spondylitis /spine thoracolumbar spine 10%,    2) UNCHANGED  ankylosing spondylitis/knee 10%    3)  NEW (dated 5/21/17)  ankylosing spondylitis/cervical spine  30%. I filed my intent to file in 4/2017.
      I  haven't received the notification or documents in the mail yet but I am confused, my thoracolumbar spine is worse than in 2009 with worse range of motion. The VA has no way to determine it improved, from the arthritis  aspect the joints do not get better and for   ankylosing spondylitis I was prescribed Humira which is a step up from prednisone. There was nothing to indicate I improved.
      Also I have been told by some my rating is bad because they failed to rate the ankylosing spondylitis as an active disease in addition to the general range of motion for arthritis.

• By RVoorhis
      Hi Folks
      Had a C&P for lower back injury related to MST in 1975. C&P examiner a PHD/PA with an impressive resume also retired Rear Admiral filed his report less likely than not a couple of weeks ago. The report was full of misspellings, information discrepancies and a lie or two! This gentleman had me on the wrong ship, took very poor notes and many of the doctors I've seen as well as dates & times totally wrong. He tried to dispute my IMO from Dr David Anaise by saying I never told Dr Anaise I had a motorcycle accident after my separation from the Navy, that was an outright lie and I had the proof in emails that in fact I did tell Dr Anaise about the motorcycle accident.

It's clearly obvious this PA pencil whipped this report and hit send, does anyone think my IMO will carry more weight than this sloppy inadequate C&P report? I have uploaded a rebuttal to my ebenny case file.
      Thanks
      Rob
    • By wbonebrake
      OK, so here's my story. I was in Iraq in 2008-09, and started having chest pain. It was dismissed by the army doctors as probably just a strained muscle. Fast forward a few years, and I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension and stage one heart failure, both of which are ultimately fatal. I submitted a claim for these conditions, which was denied. I appealed this denial to the DRO in St. Louis, MO. The C&P doctor doesn't feel like I am still afflicted with heart failure, even though I have been seeing a cardiologist for it for years. I received a SOC for the heart failure and another contention for sleep apnea, which I filed the form 9, and continued the appeal on these issues. The contention for pulmonary hypertension has a pending rating decision in the system according to my VSO, of which they gave me a copy. Here's my issue. I am diagnosed with Pulmonary Hypertension, as well as other diseases. The doctor who did my C&P exam clearly stated that he believed that my PH was service connected. The pending rating states that I am granted service connection for PH. However, in the section that details the rating, it is rated at 30% as "Symptomatic, following resolution of acute pulmonary embolism." I have never been diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, only pulmonary hypertension. In the CFR 38 section 4.97, diagnosis code 6817, Non-tuberculosis diseases of the respiratory system, Pulmonary Hypertension is clearly listed as a 100% condition. I called the 1800 number to check on the rating decision, and I was informed that it was sent to the authorizer, who then sent it back to the rater, and it is now just waiting to be authorized again. Is it possible that the authorizer saw this, and felt that the " Symptomatic, following resolution of acute pulmonary embolism" was not an accurate representation of my diagnosis, and asked for it to be updated? Also, this decision was issued on the 12th of April, 2017, and it is now May 21, 2017. What could be taking so long in getting that decision finalized? Thanks in advance!
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 41 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines