Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inner ear condition

Rate this question

STephen Lightell

Question

I am a first time user on this website so forgive me for my lack of knowledge on this condition. I currently have a VA rating for ruptured tympanic membrane with vertigo. I have recently been diagnosed with a condition called Perilymphatic Fistula which is a inner ear condition but I cannot find anything on this condition. My ENT doctor say this is a common condition caused by my original injury. Any help on this condition would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

If you are seeking SC for a perilymphatic fistula secondary to your SC condition, you will need a doctors opinion that the two are related.  If you already have this evidence, then simply submit the claim.  If you dont have this evidence, you can still submit the claim but it wont be approved until you have this evidence which can be provided by a VA doctor (if the doc elects to do so) or by an Independent medical examiner (private doc).  

28 minutes ago, broncovet said:

If you are seeking SC for a perilymphatic fistula secondary to your SC condition, you will need a doctors opinion that the two are related.  If you already have this evidence, then simply submit the claim.  If you dont have this evidence, you can still submit the claim but it wont be approved until you have this evidence which can be provided by a VA doctor (if the doc elects to do so) or by an Independent medical examiner (private doc).  

Do you know if this condition is considered a inner ear condition rated like Ménière’s disease or  Endolymphatic Hydrops?

Here is a break down of ear disorders:      http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theears.html#other    " All other ear conditions will be rated analogously (see the Analogous and Equivalent Codes page) with the above ratings. The bottom line rule is to rate any condition under the code that BEST describes it, even if it is not exact."

Perilymphatic fistula is not listed, so a rater will have to associate it with one of the diagnostic codes going by the symptoms which most closely align with one of the diagnostic codes.  And, like @broncovet says, you will need a doctors opinion that the two are related.