Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Rated And Going Back On Active Duty... Implications?

Rate this question

B 2/75

Question

Howdy, folks.

I've searched for any info on this topic, but am bringing up a blank, and I'm hoping to be able to start a discussion on the topic and glean some useful information, as I know of quite a few folks out here who are in a similar boat as mine.

I'm an Army guy with 29 years of service, 15 active, 14 reserve. I'm still in, as regular drilling reservist. I'm also 80% combined, 70 for PTSD and 10 for frostbite.

Last year I tried to go on a tour of Extended Active Duty at my unit. Everything went well as the package was routed from office to office. The Command Surgeon signed off with an OK after I had been seen by both an Army Dr. and an Air Force Dr: both of them gave me a thumbs up as good to go. Unfortunately, when the package got to the Chief of Staff's office, it was killed. The rather lame excuse I got was along the lines of "The Army can't interfere with a VA bennie"

I've got another opportunity for a tour of AD. I don't think that this command will kill the application (a bit less testosterone in the second command) and I'd like to try and find out what implications are involved.

I know that it is a simple single page form to fillout with the VA to suspend payments. This has to happen... you can't get both.

But, will the VA give me any grief about doing yet another tour?

There is a high probability that If I do go back onto AD I'll have to go back into Iraq and likely Afghanistan too, for short 30 day trips.

Ideas?

+ ALL THE WAY +

OIF 1 - PTSD 70%

Ranger School - Frostbite 10% + 10% = 10%

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, but doesn't this come up frequently? Is this really such an unusual topic?

Dean quoted me that I was "just about back to normal".... I'd think that anybody who encounters suicidal thoughts will never get rid of them completely, and will therefore always be "just about back to normal".

But what's this about "You could still snap under pressure"? Are you talking about going postal? Or that I might just fold up under the pressure?

I've got a regular job. I've managed to keep it since I got back. Yes, I've gotten into trouble a couple of times, and have pretty much moved from the bosses' A list to his S list, but I have a mid-management administrative job that is rather stressful. So regarding your concern that I might snap under the pressure, not likely.

Will it cure or hurt my PTSD? Who knows? But for me, sometimes the greater good is more important than the individual's good.

So, am I just being foolish? Is my rating more important than career? Or health? If you had a bum shoulder, but could go back in, would you risk reinjuring it, especially when you are REALLY needed, as all soldiers are these days?

.02 Kopeks

Edited by B 2/75

+ ALL THE WAY +

OIF 1 - PTSD 70%

Ranger School - Frostbite 10% + 10% = 10%

• Chief Petty Officers

(((I've got a regular job. I've managed to keep it since I got back. Yes, I've gotten into trouble a couple of times, and have pretty much moved from the bosses' A list to his S list, but I have a mid-management administrative job that is rather stressful. So regarding your concern that I might snap under the pressure, not likely.)))

You are talking about going to another country, and it is during war time. You say, Not likely, This tells me that you are not positive that you might not have a Flash back to one of your streesful times.

Just the thought of you asking us these questions makes me wander if you are unsure of your decision.

(((So, am I just being foolish? Is my rating more important than career? Or health? If you had a bum shoulder, but could go back in, would you risk reinjuring it, especially when you are REALLY needed, as all soldiers are these days?)))

Your health is always more important. There are plenty of fresh people that can go in right now. I do not know what you are actually asking with this question. You seem to be doubting yourself. I could be wrong and often are, but are you trying to talk yourself into going back in, or are you just thinking about your country instead of your own self. Thinking of yourself in this case is not being selfish. This is a case that reguires a lot of questioning yourself instead of listening to what everyone is telling you about you being needed in the military. Do you feel that you need to be needed? (I did not know how to word that.)

(((Dean quoted me that I was "just about back to normal".... I'd think that anybody who encounters suicidal thoughts will never get rid of them completely, and will therefore always be "just about back to normal".)))

You did not just think about suicide. You came up with a complete plan on how you would do it. Many people think about it, some will not admit it. It seemed like you could not carry the thoughts through but it also seemed like you came pretty close.

((Will it cure or hurt my PTSD? Who knows? But for me, sometimes the greater good is more important than the individual's good.))

What did you mean by this?

((But what's this about "You could still snap under pressure"? Are you talking about going postal? Or that I might just fold up under the pressure?))

There are other ways to snap under pressure than this. Have you ever heard of having a nervous breakdown. You could feel like you have let the military down if you find that you can't do some things that you used to do. A nervous breakdown can come at any time. Trust me, I have had a couple in my time. You never see it coming and you can not just turn it off. It does not show a sign of weakness, it shows that you are a true person and you do have feelings. Kind of like you wanting to commit suicide before but not exactly. Kind of hard to explain in words. You just start crying for no reason because you saw something or jeard something that just set you off the wrong way. Taking Anti-depressant medication helps this not to happen. By the way are you taking any medication right now? If you are, do you plan on not taking it while you are in?

((Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, but doesn't this come up frequently? Is this really such an unusual topic?))

This is the first for me on this board. I have missed a lot though.

You still have not answered my question about wether or not you have a family.

I HAVE BEEN ON THIS VETERANS SITE SINCE THE BEGINNING AROUND 1997, This site has had many changes. All of the changes have been for the good of the site. T-Bird does her best to keep Veterans informed. This is the best Veterans Discussion Board on the Internet. I wish I was able to be on here as much as I used to be. The amount of post that it shows that I have made does not go back to when the site started. T-Bird had no idea that this site would ever get as big as it has grown. She is a big inspiration for a lot of Veterans. If it were not for this site, a lot of Veterans would not have ever had their claims won..QUOTEHelp a Veteran any time that you can. They need to be informed of the claims process...

E-mail.. dean@help-a-veteran.com

Now darnit, I posted the applicable quote from CFR38. This guys rating will be essentially unchanged, unless it is WORSE. Period. If they try to do anything they are looking to get a CUE shoved up their rump. Look back for my quote, I'm not gonna look it up again, but.... the reason I knew it was that I stumbled across it looking for a friend asking the exact same thing.

Personally, Dean, its really up to you. You know your state better than anyone, so the question you are asking us is really on only you can answer. I will say think long and hard. As much as I would truely desire to go back on active duty, heck even into the reserves etc. I cant. Its not a matter of wanting, I would simply endager the soldiers around me, not because of my mental attitude, but physical ability. SO.. in the end guy you have to make the call. Look to your self, though I gotta say I am GLAD that you are asking the question. I just dont think WE can answer it. If your married talk to the spouse - talk to a friend in the unit... whatever it take and then make your decision asking yourself the question "What is best for my soldiers"...

From your whole stance here, I am sure in the end you WILL do what is best. Simply because that is what good soldiers do.

Follow orders as your told,

Make Their Yellow Blood Run Cold

Fight until you die or drop

A Force like ours is Hard to Stop

Close your mind to stress and pain

Fight till You're no longer sane

Let not one damn cur pass by,

How many of them can we make die!

- Heather Alexander

March of Cambreath

...... and thats my last thing to say on this post... good luck and Godspeed whatever your decision.

Bob Smith

Sixrhcents,

Yes, you did post the reg but a second part contained in the reg is not getting any of it's deserved attention.

§ 3.654 Active service pay.

(a) General. Pension, compensation, or retirement pay will be discontinued under the circumstances stated in §3.700(a)(1) for any period for which the veteran received active service pay. For the purposes of this section, active service pay means pay received for active duty, active duty for training or inactive duty training.

(b) Active duty. (1) Where the veteran returns to active duty status, the award will be discontinued effective the day preceding reentrance into active duty status. If the exact date is not known, payments will be discontinued effective date of last payment and as of the correct date when the date of reentrance has been ascertained from the service department.

(2) Payments, if otherwise in order, will be resumed effective the day following release from active duty if claim for recommencement of payments is received within 1 year from the date of such release: otherwise payments will be resumed effective 1 year prior to the date of receipt of a new claim. Prior determinations of service connection will not be disturbed except as provided in §3.105. Compensation will be authorized based on the degree of disability found to exist at the time the award is resumed. Disability will be evaluated on the basis of all facts, including records from the service department relating to the most recent period of active service. If a disability is incurred or aggravated in the second period of service, compensation for that disability cannot be paid unless a claim therefor is filed.

© Training duty. Prospective adjustment of awards may be made where the veteran waives his or her Department of Veterans Affairs benefit covering anticipated receipt of active service pay because of expected periods of active duty for training or inactive duty training. Where readjustment is in order because service pay was not received for expected training duty, retroactive payments may be authorized if a claim for readjustment is received within 1 year after the end of the fiscal year for which payments were waived.

[27 FR 11890, Dec. 1, 1962]

carlie

Edited by carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.