Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary SC for Hypertension Suggestion

Rate this question

Shady Grady

Question

Hello Fellow Members,

I suffer from Hypertension and am service connected for both PTSD and OSA (sleep apnea). I have an appointment with my PCP next week and will ask the MD which one of my service connected ailments were more likely than not have been the cause of my hypertension. Is there any new evidence that supports PTSD being more of a  contributing factor to hypertension over OSA that anyone has come across?

I will go with what the MD says and will get an IMO but was seeing if anyone has had any success with their claims for secondary hypertension. 

Thanks 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

My suggestion:  

It really matters zilch what you or I think.  It all turns on what the doctor says.  So, when you go to the sleep doc, ask him if OSA is related to hbp, and do the same when you go to the PTSD doc.  

If either gives you a positive response, then ask him to document that in your records.  (That your sleep apnea/PTSD is "at least as likely as not" related to your high blood pressure".  That is, either the disease itself or the medications had side effects causing your hbp.  

If either doc suggests its related to high blood pressure and documents same, then you are good to go. 

If not, you would likely need an IMO for your claim to succed.  

You can apply now.  Dont try to make the VA think you are a genius.  Such as:  I want to apply for high blood pressure secondary to PTSD...

The right way is to apply for hbp, both primary and secondary to all your sc conditions.  Let the rating speciialists and the doctors do their jobs, you will offend some if you try to do their job for them, such as deciding whether this is primary, secondary, presumptive, etc.  

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

My suggestion:  

It really matters zilch what you or I think.  It all turns on what the doctor says.  So, when you go to the sleep doc, ask him if OSA is related to hbp, and do the same when you go to the PTSD doc.  

If either gives you a positive response, then ask him to document that in your records.  (That your sleep apnea/PTSD is "at least as likely as not" related to your high blood pressure".  That is, either the disease itself or the medications had side effects causing your hbp.  

If either doc suggests its related to high blood pressure and documents same, then you are good to go. 

If not, you would likely need an IMO for your claim to succed.  

You can apply now.  Dont try to make the VA think you are a genius.  Such as:  I want to apply for high blood pressure secondary to PTSD...

The right way is to apply for hbp, both primary and secondary to all your sc conditions.  Let the rating speciialists and the doctors do their jobs, you will offend some if you try to do their job for them, such as deciding whether this is primary, secondary, presumptive, etc.  

Thank you for the information and this is extremely helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to provide that response.