VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Infertility

Rate this question

Rue Optimistic

Question

Hello,

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and i am service connected for it...I had all the signs however was not treated until a few years after I left the marine corps. I had 3 deployments to Iraq with several documentation of exposure to smokes, oils, and chemicals. I’m 36 yrs and have gone through two failed IVF treatments. I am trying to link hypothyroidism and infertility. I have extremely low ovarian reserve for my age. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

I found this online which sounds promising. It would probably require an opinion from either an endocrinologist or OBGYN doc. Apparently Harvard did a study indicating it is possible even if thyroid levels are on the low end of normal. There was no link to the article, but they actually included the researcher names in the article.

https://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20171220/mild-low-thyroid-levels-may-affect-a-womans-fertility#1

WEDNESDAY, Dec. 20, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Having even a slightly underactive thyroid may interfere with a woman's ability to get pregnant, a new Harvard Medical School study has found.

Doctors have known for some time that women with low thyroid hormone levels struggle with fertility, said the study's senior researcher, Dr. Pouneh Fazeli. She's an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School and a neuroendocrinologist with Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

But this study suggests that difficulties can arise even when the thyroid -- a butterfly-shaped gland near the throat -- is functioning at the low end of the normal range.

More than a quarter of the women in the study who had unexplained infertility showed signs of a thyroid gland performing at low-normal levels.

... more information found at linked article