Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possible Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

huskerfanfl

Question

OK,

I need some advice. I went to my doctor regarding one issue, and while there mentioned the fact that my wife (who was in the room) had told me that my legs had been twitching at night while I was sleeping. I thought this was related to my back pain. The doctor then asked my wife if I have been having trouble breathing and she described how I breathe. He then asked if I snore, and she replied that I do. I now have an appointment to get screened for sleep apnea.

If I have sleep apnea, I have had it for years, based on the questions in a screening questionaire I was given (snoring, waking frequently, waking tired, twitching in arms and legs, etc.) I never saw a doctor about it though. I have told doctors that I have trouble sleeping (in fact I told them that on my retirement physical). If my wife writes a letter attesting to the snoring, muscle twiches, waking frequetly etc. and my children write letters concerning the times they have heard me snoring, will this be enough to connect it to service, or will I need more?

I realize that I need to have a sleep study conducted, but assume that will be done in the near future and anticipate that I will be diganosed with sleep apnea.

Tim

Vet and proud of it

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

OK,

I need some advice. I went to my doctor regarding one issue, and while there mentioned the fact that my wife (who was in the room) had told me that my legs had been twitching at night while I was sleeping. I thought this was related to my back pain. The doctor then asked my wife if I have been having trouble breathing and she described how I breathe. He then asked if I snore, and she replied that I do. I now have an appointment to get screened for sleep apnea.

If I have sleep apnea, I have had it for years, based on the questions in a screening questionaire I was given (snoring, waking frequently, waking tired, twitching in arms and legs, etc.) I never saw a doctor about it though. I have told doctors that I have trouble sleeping (in fact I told them that on my retirement physical). If my wife writes a letter attesting to the snoring, muscle twiches, waking frequetly etc. and my children write letters concerning the times they have heard me snoring, will this be enough to connect it to service, or will I need more?

I realize that I need to have a sleep study conducted, but assume that will be done in the near future and anticipate that I will be diganosed with sleep apnea.

Husker,

If you've had sleep difficulties for years does that go back to your active duty time?? If so, statements from the wife and kids will help, but buddy statements from your fellow servicemen will mean more. Why? Because your wife and kids have a vested interest in your award - buddies don't. Peruse your SMRs for any indication that you had sleep problems. If you find any, you will need to convince an MD that this is evidence that it's "more likely than not" the AD sleep problems were evidence of apnea. You will also need to demonstrate why military service caused the apnea. Could be bizarre watchstanding schedules, severely interrupted sleep on duty, extended periods of no sleep, etc. (From what you say, a sleep study WILL document apnea.) Then get the medical opinion letter.

Ralph

• HadIt.com Elder

Your lucky someone is looking into it. A lot of people end up dead or worse off when it is not treated.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Husker,

You will also need to demonstrate why military service caused the apnea. Could be bizarre watchstanding schedules, severely interrupted sleep on duty, extended periods of no sleep, etc. (From what you say, a sleep study WILL document apnea.) Then get the medical opinion letter.

Ralph

I disagree military service does not need to cause the condition, you just have to prove that it started in service. You said it is noted on your retirement physical thats a hell of a good start. I also disagree that statements from a wife are not given equal consideration. The statements my wife has provided the VA have helped me allot. Statements have to be valued at face value unless they have a reason to think other wise. Your wife can say you did this during the time in service, but she cant offer any medical opinion. Buddy statements would be great if they could attest to snoring.

Edited by BETRAYED

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

I disagree military service does not need to cause the condition, you just have to prove that it started in service. You said it is noted on your retirement physical thats a hell of a good start. I also disagree that statements from a wife are not given equal consideration. The statements my wife has provided the VA have helped me allot. Statements have to be valued at face value unless they have a reason to think other wise. Your wife can say you did this during the time in service, but she cant offer any medical opinion. Buddy statements would be great if they could attest to snoring.

I thank you both for your advice. I went to see the pulmonary physician this morning (private doctor as opposed to VA). He tied the beginning of my potential sleep apnea to 2001. It was at that point that I injured a hip running a half marathon and could no longer exercise the way I used to. This is not the cause of the apnea, however, at that point I weighed considerably less than I do now. One of the sypmtoms of sleep apnea is weight gain. When he went to check what my doctor had sent me he came back, told me it was extremely likely I have sleep apnea, and that I needed to have a sleep study done badly. I will be having the sleep study in two days.

Tim

Vet and proud of it

Your lucky someone is looking into it. A lot of people end up dead or worse off when it is not treated.

Are there medications that people with sleep apnea can't take? My doctor asked me to ask my wife it I snored and had breathing problems while sleeping?

My doctor asked about sleep apnea before adding another xanax at bedtime, he wated to wait until I could ask my wife if I snored and made strange snorting sounds and had breathing problems while sleeping.

You wife's statement in support of your claim has to have some effect on your claim.

Boondoc

BoonDoc

Sailors see the World as 2/3rds full

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson