VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate cancer recurrence-informing the VA

Rate this question

Eureka

Question

Could you please advise me how to proceed?  My VA advisor in Germany advised me on a visit to Belgium that, if my prostate cancer recurred, that I would simply need to notify the VA with the appropriate evidence (biopsies / scan reports) for the disability rating to be readjusted/reinstated.

Please confirm that I would not have to start from scratch by filing a completely new VBA-21-526EZ,  Application for Disability Compensation.

Thank you kindly for any  assistance.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

The good news:  Since you are already SC (likely) then you need only meet the critieria for increase, not for new sc.  You dont have to repeat proving an in service event or nexus.  Just submit a copy of your doctors reoport with your claim that prostate cancer has returned. 

However, not all the news is good.  To find out which form, read this: https://asknod.org/2019/02/24/ramp-screw-me-twice-shame-on-me/

My guess is that  you should use a "Supplementary" claim form.  But read it for yourself, as you know way more about your case than I do.  

I have heard that, if you send it on the wrong form, VA quickly (within a couple weeks) rejects it and tells you which one to use.  

Now, my VSO "never bothered" to tell me I was also eligible for pension (nsc).  And, even tho VA is supposed to consider a claim for pension is also a claim for compensation, they didnt do that and the delays meant I lost my home as I could not afford to go without income for 3 years.  

If you served in wartime, and you have little or no income, you should be able to get pension, and those are done much faster than comp claims.  Its less than 100 percent comp, but may keep you from starving while you wait for VA.  

On another site, a poster who seemed to know, posted this:

Generally, a PSA level of 0.2 (2/10th) is considered a recurrence of cancer after a radical prostatectomy. The key to a successful claim to reestablish the 100% rating is a written diagnosis (stating the cancer has returned) by a physician. If your VA doctor has not provided that diagnosis, you might consider seeing a private physician.

Your 2.2 PSA level far exceeds the 0.2 threshold.

So, get a written diagnosis from your physician, and submit it with you claim.  It would appear you do need to file a new claim form, but even attorneys dont always know which one to use.  

The good news:  Since you are already SC (likely) then you need only meet the critieria for increase, not for new sc.  You dont have to repeat proving an in service event or nexus.  Just submit a copy of your doctors reoport with your claim that prostate cancer has returned.