VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is The Problem With The Appeals Management Center?

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi everyone,

Finally at last, I have my administrative, (personnel records) at the Appeals Management Center in Washington, D.C. remanded by the BVA.

The AMC had specific instructions to secure these records and search for any other possible medical records. ( They cannot stand that I secured my complete set of Psychiatric Records in 2004 and turned in copies to the R. O.)

It has been a battle since that day. Since 1978, I have watched the R.O change the name of my filing from nervousness, headaches to anxiety with depression to " acquired psychiatric disorder."

In 2003 I was denied service connection for anxiety with depression and awarded a pension 100% for anxiety with depression, but denied due to excessive and then the claim was re-opened for "acquired psychiatric disorder".

These personnel records were never acquired when I filed in 1978 nor again in 2002 and I have went through the system without them.

When my file was remanded to the AMC, I called and spoke to a counselor and she told me that if I could get those records from the Archives sooner than they could to do it and they would use them.

I sent the AMC the complete Administrative Records in May of 2006 and was told by the counselor that she needed a search on the medical records, although the cover letter plainly stated that there was no more medical records for me at the Archives.

I wrote to the Archives again and secured the Administrative Records in July and sent those to the AMC.

I was told then by the counselor that they would need a letter only from the Archives stating that there were no more medical records in the Archives.

September 18, 2006, the technician sent an electronic fax to the AMC that there was no more medical records at the Archives for me.

In November the AMC ask the Archives for a copy of my Administrative Records, as they didn't bother to tell me that someone had mis-placed the two copies that I had sent to them.

The Archives responded December 20, 2006, that my Administrative Records could not be located.

The AMC finally decided to open the fax and read it on January 23, 2007. When I call the Counselor, I am told the records are all lost.

I said , I have the two copies that I sent to you in May and July. The Supervisor at the AMC said, oh good, fax them to me with my name on them.

January 24, 2007, I faxed the administrative Records with her name on them. I call two hours later and this young guy at the AMC, a counselor, tells me that he took them off the fax ready for this Supervisor.

I wait 2 days for her to put this information on the computer and log them in. Nothing happens.

This young guy takes the records and logs them in and places them on the computer.

I call the AMC as he instructed me to do, just to be on the safe side, that they were still on the computer.

The Supervisor said yes, they were, but they did not receive any letter from the Archives of my missing records.

By this time, I think that I am crazy.

I called the Archives and the lady confirmed, oh, yes the fax went through December 20th. She asks me do you want me to fax the letter again and I say please do.

I wait a couple of hours and talk to the Supervisor, she states, no nothing came through the main frame of the fax from the Archives.

I call the Archives again and talk to the same nice lady and she faxed it through again.

Finally a counselor confirms that they have the one for December 20th and the two for yesterday.

The icing on the cake, February 1, 2007, The AMC was going to consider they had exhausted all means of securing the records and rate without them.

Now, I ask myself, what didn't they want?

It has to be the request for transfer from the duty station, where I suffered so much abuse, but the transfer was to be in July and I had to take an early discharge in May.

The reason that I have posted my story.

Watch out for your records, no mater where they are at.

I have no ideal of where the two copies went and I almost lost my chance to get the transfer sheet into my claim before a decision was made and if they gave me a negative, I could have never presented them to the court. This is my understanding.

I was told that my "suspense" date is now to February 8th. Has anyone ever heard of that term for "rating"

By the way, the doctor in North Carolina would not do the IMO. He told me he wasn't getting in the middle of those two. He said the Phd Psychologist was just or more qualifed than the young bucks.

He told me how to write my own brief, like a lawyer would do, and I wrote it and turned it in too!

Always,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The suspense date is just a target to have your claim reviewed. Sometimes it means something but probably not. It looks like you have avoided some of the mines and you claim is going to get the attention it deserves.

In my opinion the Appeals Management Center was changed form a way for the BVA to have claims rated bypassing the RO that got turned down a dirt road.

• HadIt.com Elder
The suspense date is just a target to have your claim reviewed. Sometimes it means something but probably not. It looks like you have avoided some of the mines and you claim is going to get the attention it deserves.

In my opinion the Appeals Management Center was changed form a way for the BVA to have claims rated bypassing the RO that got turned down a dirt road.

Thanks Pete,

I sure hope so. I learned a good lesson. Put all of your important records in a fire proof box under lock and key.

I did advance on the docket and this may help me some. It is about time someone read my claim.

It has took all of my life, just to get it read.

Always,

Josephine