VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How is Hyperacusis rated?

Rate this question

Kuwaitin08

Question

I recently went to a C&P exam for hyperacusis and the VA examiner said it was very clear that I'm service connected based on my jobs and service/medical records. At the exam she actually went as far as custom molding earpieces to help me with my condition as I sat there.

What makes things difficult is the fact that my hearing tests are perfect but my condition cannot be assessed by those methods.

Does anyone have any idea how something like hyperacusis is rated? There is no exact rating for this condition and the general hearing loss classification doesn't classify ratings based on how it affects home and work. Could it be rated like something like PTSD?

Ideas?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Kuwaitin08 It sounds like a circular situation. A impacts B. B impacts C. C impacts A.

I also had to ask for reasonable accommodations at work (they really helped). Some non-MH ratings may have special criteria if it has extended impact. You would have to look them up to get more details though. For example, migraines have a 50% rating if you are out of work frequently. The MH rating criteria is pretty much a catch-all for everything else.

Since you are at 90%, it might be helpful to explore your health and see if there are any other conditions that can be secondary to your existing SC conditions or if any others might qualify for an increase. They might be helpful in getting you bumped up to 100%.

It is not spelled out out directly in 38 CFR. I found a BVA ruling which rated it analogous to tinnitis:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp19/files7/19155192.txt

ORDER

Service connection for hyperacusis, analogous to tinnitus, is granted.

§4.87   Schedule of ratings—ear.

6260   Tinnitus, recurrent 10
Note (1): A separate evaluation for tinnitus may be combined with an evaluation under diagnostic codes 6100, 6200, 6204, or other diagnostic code, except when tinnitus supports an evaluation under one of those diagnostic codes.  
Note (2): Assign only a single evaluation for recurrent tinnitus, whether the sound is perceived in one ear, both ears, or in the head.  
Note (3): Do not evaluate objective tinnitus (in which the sound is audible to other people and has a definable cause that may or may not be pathologic) under this diagnostic code, but evaluate it as part of any underlying condition causing it.  

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155)

Honestly, I had to look up hyperacusis to see what it meant. As a veteran rated for tinnitus, I can tell you that it can be intrusive. Imagine trying to focus one work while being haunted by a strange high pitched sound. And trying to get to sleep is a real pain because it never really goes away. VA audiology sent me a small machine that makes soothing sounds. It's an attempt to cover us the tinnitus or lessen it's severity, but it doesn't always work.

Once rated, if it causes you any mental health issues, you could consider filing for it. However, I recommend you look up the mental health rating criteria first. The current criteria is found here: §4.130   Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders.

1 hour ago, Vync said:

Honestly, I had to look up hyperacusis to see what it meant. As a veteran rated for tinnitus, I can tell you that it can be intrusive. Imagine trying to focus one work while being haunted by a strange high pitched sound. And trying to get to sleep is a real pain because it never really goes away. VA audiology sent me a small machine that makes soothing sounds. It's an attempt to cover us the tinnitus or lessen it's severity, but it doesn't always work.

Once rated, if it causes you any mental health issues, you could consider filing for it. However, I recommend you look up the mental health rating criteria first. The current criteria is found here: §4.130   Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders.

I’m already rated 70% for ptsd, 50% for migraines and have tinnitus. I’ve already applied for hyperacusis and just completed a C&P exam where the examiner said she was absolutely saying it was SC. I’m just trying to find out if it’s a set rating or if it’s based on severity as mine has very significant effects. 

That's a good plan. I am expecting them to rate it like tinnitus, but hope they find something with a higher rating.