VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How is Hyperacusis rated?

Rate this question

Kuwaitin08

Question

I recently went to a C&P exam for hyperacusis and the VA examiner said it was very clear that I'm service connected based on my jobs and service/medical records. At the exam she actually went as far as custom molding earpieces to help me with my condition as I sat there.

What makes things difficult is the fact that my hearing tests are perfect but my condition cannot be assessed by those methods.

Does anyone have any idea how something like hyperacusis is rated? There is no exact rating for this condition and the general hearing loss classification doesn't classify ratings based on how it affects home and work. Could it be rated like something like PTSD?

Ideas?

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:44 PM, Vync said:

That's a good plan. I am expecting them to rate it like tinnitus, but hope they find something with a higher rating.

Does the VA take into account the impact of vocational and social impacts from "hearing loss (hyperacusis is considered hearing loss)" like PTSD or migraines?

Any ideas?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
13 minutes ago, Kuwaitin08 said:

Does the VA take into account the impact of vocational and social impacts from "hearing loss (hyperacusis is considered hearing loss)" like PTSD or migraines?

Any ideas?

If any SC disability negatively impacts your life socially or vocationally, that has to be a real downer. Consider filing for MH as secondary to it. If you already have a MH rating, check the rating criteria to see if it might qualify for an increase.

5 minutes ago, Vync said:

If any SC disability negatively impacts your life socially or vocationally, that has to be a real downer. Consider filing for MH as secondary to it. If you already have a MH rating, check the rating criteria to see if it might qualify for an increase.

Unfortunately my MH rating is already 70%. I need special accommodations for work and use an earpiece so I can hear what's going on and had the VA prosthetics make me custom $150 ear plugs so I can go out in crowded areas again. What a mess.

PTSD triggers hyperacusis.

Hyperacusis triggers PTSD.

Migraines trigger Hyperacusis.

Hyperacusis triggers migraines.

Tinnitus triggers everything.

And so on...

Good times 😞

17 minutes ago, Vync said:

@Kuwaitin08 It sounds like a circular situation. A impacts B. B impacts C. C impacts A.

I also had to ask for reasonable accommodations at work (they really helped). Some non-MH ratings may have special criteria if it has extended impact. You would have to look them up to get more details though. For example, migraines have a 50% rating if you are out of work frequently. The MH rating criteria is pretty much a catch-all for everything else.

Since you are at 90%, it might be helpful to explore your health and see if there are any other conditions that can be secondary to your existing SC conditions or if any others might qualify for an increase. They might be helpful in getting you bumped up to 100%.

I’m kinda screwed. I’m maxed with Migraines, and PTSD and have ratings for Gerd and Tinnitus. My latest claim is the Hyperacusis. I’m hoping the Hyperacusis can bump me higher. I have a back spasm (Prob 10%) claim that I’m waiting to submit when I get my records and I have another 10% one pending as well. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
1 minute ago, Kuwaitin08 said:

I’m kinda screwed. I’m maxed with Migraines, and PTSD and have ratings for Gerd and Tinnitus. My latest claim is the Hyperacusis. I’m hoping the Hyperacusis can bump me higher. I have a back spasm (Prob 10%) claim that I’m waiting to submit when I get my records and I have another 10% one pending as well. 

If you think you will get your records within a year, go ahead and file and Intent to File claim for the back spasm issue. At least you can reserve your effective date if it is approved.

Don't forget to consider radiculopathy. If the pain or neurological issues go down your arms and/or legs, be sure those are claimed too. If it impacts both arms or both legs, they will rate those nerves bilaterally.

57 minutes ago, Vync said:

If you think you will get your records within a year, go ahead and file and Intent to File claim for the back spasm issue. At least you can reserve your effective date if it is approved.

Don't forget to consider radiculopathy. If the pain or neurological issues go down your arms and/or legs, be sure those are claimed too. If it impacts both arms or both legs, they will rate those nerves bilaterally.

I’m already set up with another intent to file. Unfortunately I don’t have that issue with the shooting pains in the arms and legs. I am being tested for Ménière’s disease tomorrow as a matter fact. We’ll see how that goes. If I am diagnosed with that I will definitely claim that as well. That’s a guaranteed 100% if I win that.