Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What are the abc's of DBQ's

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

Hey, 

We are all from different parts of the world and experience different VA's etc.  I have been reading a lot on this site doing research on my next set of claims.  In my vast, but naive, experience, I fill(ed) a claim or claims with the VA and submitted my med records with my letter of explanation of what I am claiming and why.  Then, in a month or so, I would get a C&P exam.  And then a rating and or a denial.

Then, starting a couple years ago, I was reading a lot of mention of DBQ's on here.  I had no idea what you guys/gals were talking about.  Then after some more claims, it became apparent to me that the C&P examiners were filling out the so called DBQ's while they examined me.  Then, not sure but probably Berta, mentioned where one (me) could find the DBQ's and see what the examiners were checking off, and then when eBenifits came around, I could read the C&P's and see what was checked and why.  And also the "rationale" from the examiner.

So, far, everything was coming together.

But, now, while researching my next move, I see where some IME/IMO doctors will fill out a DBQ for you, ( I thought they just wrote a letter for you).  Did not know that was done.  The VA sure don't let you know that up front.

My question, I guess, is, have any of you submitted a "private doctor" DBQ with an original claim, or increase claim (not a appeal) and did you or not get a C&P with another DBQ?  And how did that play out.

That's my question for now, more on my plan at a later date,

As always,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

2 hours ago, pete992 said:

Have you considered asking your VA doctor's opinion on if these conditions are secondary to your already service connected condition? No letter just a statement in your progress note that it is as least likely caused by or as a result of your service connected disability and give a medical rationale.

I was a combined 90% and the 40% for fibromyalgia pushed me to 95% and VA then rounded up to 100% scheduler.

pete,

I was diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia, GERD and Barrett's syndrome last year at the VA.  Bad enough that I have to be scoped every year from now on.  No cancer though.  This is my new contention, secondary to ??.  That is what I want to have expert help with.  And the proper verbiage for the highest rating.  Could be linked to one of the many medications I take for my service connected disabilities, or the connected conditions themselves.

My second issue is for an increase with my lower back which is currently rated 20% Range of Motion.  It has gotten worse, so I think a thorough exam will prove I am in need of an increase.  I had to go to physical therapy at the VA for that last fall for about 8 visits.

As I see from your response, you had to deal with the dreaded 90%.  I didn't think I would get from 80 to 90, but I think the VA was very favorable in my last round of claims.  Just don't have the energy to give it a good go right now on my own.

Thanks for your help pete,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

I did have a veteran friendly treating VA doctor that helped me out with most of my claims.  Of course he knew more than I did and wrote most of my evidence in my progress reports.  I wished I had listen to him years ago but we all like to be in control until we lose all control and have to deal with what is.  He suggested that I quit my job but I worked a little longer until my body gave up and I had to quit. 

Hey Fellow Veterans, 

Here are a few websites that help veterans with help, suggestions, and tips on how to develop our claims. And C&P exam tips on what you need to do prior to your exams.

1) VAClaimsInsider.com   - Videos on YouTube.com as well, under Brian Reese.

2) MilitaryClaimsMadeEasy.com

3) VeteransLawBlog.net

I hope these sites help all of you out.

Corey