VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

HOW TO Seach for BVA or CAVC cases similar to yours.

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Berta doesnt always have time, neither do I.  Also, my eyes are poor and I need surgury, so you can do "case law" search yourself.  This is very handy, especially with "precedent" decisions.  A precedent decision means that "multiple judges", called a "panel decision" decided this, and you can cite it to prove your case.  An "En Banc" decision is also precedential, as this means "all" of the judges weighed in.  BVA cases and single judge CAVC cases are non precedential.    Exercise caution when citing non precedential cases.  Dont cite a non precendial case  if there is a precendial case also, instead cite the precedent case.  

Its amazing how "well prepared" Veterans seem to win more often than those who didnt prepare.  For Service connection, dont forget the Caluza elements, its unlikely your judge will disregard them.  I have posted on Caluza many times and wont repeat it here.  It works, too, if you are seeking an Earlier Effective Date, by typing it in to "keywords".  That will work better than "backpay" because the judges will likely use the term "Earlier Effective Date".  

You can use these links:

Use this link and type in key words such as "TBI", for CAVC decisions relating to your condition.  

http://search.uscourts.cavc.gov/

In a similar manner, type in your key words into this site to search BVA decisions:

https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp

If there are too many results, you can refine it.  As an example, if you got tbi in combat, you could try "Combat TBI".  You could also try stuff like "TBI 38 CFR 3.156" if you wanted to see TBI Vets who submitted new and material evidence from their service records.  If your search is unproductive, try it again, next time, say reversing the order:  For example "TBI COMBAT".  This can produce different results than "combat TBI".  

You can also search for stuff like "Clear unmistakable Error 38 CFR 4.6" , by simply typing  that into keyword search.  

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

I hope all here heed your Advice Broncovet.

I can usually tell when I post a link or more that could help a member ,based on their situation, and then realize they never bothered to read the link.

Many however do - and that can help them tremendously.

I have developed carpal tunnel syndrome and am glad that we have the Abbreviation /acronym list here- because anything I don't have to type out in detail, means less typing pain for me. And saves me time.

The repetition you and I do many times, can be avoided as well, if others really access the site and the search feature.

The search feature is voluminous  but I often use google  instead  than add hadit at the end of the search in the Google browser and often that means  I get info faster from the Google site , via hadit,than here in the hadit search.

What gets me is when we get a post from a new member, then ask them questions, that any good vet rep or vet lawyer would and should ask, to properly understand their claim,  and then they don't return.

Or they return but never answer the questions  we ask.

It happens  a lot  with DIC survivor   claims.

CALUZA!

If a claimant does not have the three elements, of Caluza ,  their claim is doomed -until they satisfy Caluza.

I am not repeating  Caluza  either. By now everyone here should know what you mean.

Edited by Berta