Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Call From Va

Rate this question

Robbi314

Question

Just was wondering if we could get some feedback on this. To make a long story short, we have been trying to get my husband's disability raised from 40% SC to 100% by adding a claim for PTSD. We started the process for the increase in December 2004. Since my husband is not capable of fighting the VA on his own, I have worked and struggled very hard, both through research and communication with service officers and our congressman, speaking with doctors and accompanying him to his C&P exams to get this approved. Finally on December 27,2006 we got a call from the service officer at the VA regional office telling us the good news,that the decision was unofficial until it had been signed off due to the amount of the award, but that my husband had been granted 70% for PTSD and IU. She said it could take up to 90 days for everything to get processed. We were shocked and happy at the same time, and also apprehensive about even telling anyone. Meanwhile, our Congressman's office contacted us to touch base a few days later, saying that they were going to contact their liason at the VA to verify the information we had been given. Several days later we received a letter in the mail from the Congressman's office stating that(and I quote from the letter) the unofficialVA rating decision was dated December 27, 2006, the following determinations were made: service connection for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is granted as being 70 percent disabling effective December 16,2004 service connection for diabetes mellitus due to herbicide exposure is granted as being 20 percent disabling effective December 13, 2006; entitlement to individual unemployability is granted effective December 16, 2004 and basic eligibility to Dependants' Educational Assistance is establised from December 16, 2004.

Does anyone out there know if this means he is also P&T? We still haven't gotten the official letter. Any guess as to how long this can take? Any input or advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!:blink:

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Robbi314,

If there is an award amount of over $25,000.00, which sounds like the case in your situation,the claim needs to get a third signature by the VSCM. This can take a couple of weeks longer than normal. Once the claim receives the third signature, it goes back to the Post-Determination Team where the rating decision is processed if it hasn't already been done before the signature. Then rating is sent out to the veteran. Remember, don't spend the retro until you get the official letter in the mail from VA. Also, if you get Chapter 35 benefits, then that means it's P&T!

Vike 17

• HadIt.com Elder

Robbi,

CONGRATS< once you get the official letter start looking into all the benefits out there with your state, as well as ID cards.

• HadIt.com Elder

Robbi:

Thank you for sticking by your spouse and helping him win his claim. Spouses who help their Veterans are greatly appreciated on this Board. From what you have been told educational benefits have been established for dependents indicate to me that he is P&T and that not only will you get Chapter 35 benefits you will also get ChampVA Medical Insurance for you and children under 19 and up to 23 if still in school.

You have to apply for ChampVA Medical insurance and if you have other insurance they will become secondary and you will not have any costs for Medical treatment after you meet the deductible of 50 or a little more if the children are on it. What is really good about CHampVA is that it is good for life so when you reach 65 it still stays with you. It also has prescription benefit that pays 75% for prescriptions and I don't know how it works with your Insurance if you have copays.

Thank you and hang around here. I think that you will find this the best site for Veterans who deal with the VA. Thank your husband for his service you and he have paid a high price.

This sounds wonderful! Good for you Robbi! Thank your husband for his service and sacrifice for this wonderful country!

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

I wonder why the diabetes was just given a rating in Dec 2006 and not back to the 2004 date when the claim process? started? I thought it was pretty much an automatic for a combat veteran. Don't know where I actually got that from but it has stuck in my mind.

...service connection for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is granted as being 70 percent disabling effective December 16,2004 service connection for diabetes mellitus due to herbicide exposure is granted as being 20 percent disabling effective December 13, 2006; entitlement to individual unemployability is granted effective December 16, 2004...

this is something that I had an earlier question about - he's rated right now at 40% plus 70% PTSD plus 20% diabetes - wouldn't that qualify him for the extra SMC benefit? Or is it that a veteran has to be 100% rated in one disability and then the additional ratings in other disabilities to qualify for the SMC?

Thanks to all for your quick response and kind words, we so appreciate it. I am glad to have found this website. It is very diverse and informative as well. I actually discovered it while driving down the road and saw the site advertised on someones' ( another vet I assume) pickup truck. It came at a time when we were so downtrodden and frustrated, it was almost a like receiving a "sign". It helps to know you're not alone in your struggle. Please, if there's any way we can help anyone out there with info on our experience (my degree is in counseling and social work)do not hesitate to ask, as I will be checking back on a regular basis. Vets helping other Vets is where it's at!! :blink:

This sounds wonderful! Good for you Robbi! Thank your husband for his service and sacrifice for this wonderful country!

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

I wonder why the diabetes was just given a rating in Dec 2006 and not back to the 2004 date when the claim process? started? I thought it was pretty much an automatic for a combat veteran. Don't know where I actually got that from but it has stuck in my mind.

...service connection for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is granted as being 70 percent disabling effective December 16,2004 service connection for diabetes mellitus due to herbicide exposure is granted as being 20 percent disabling effective December 13, 2006; entitlement to individual unemployability is granted effective December 16, 2004...

this is something that I had an earlier question about - he's rated right now at 40% plus 70% PTSD plus 20% diabetes - wouldn't that qualify him for the extra SMC benefit? Or is it that a veteran has to be 100% rated in one disability and then the additional ratings in other disabilities to qualify for the SMC?