Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voch Rehab

Rate this question

Guest wardandjune

Question

Guest wardandjune

Can anyone explain the process for voc rehab? I "tested" 1 month ago and havnt heard anything more. I have tried to call counselor 4 times, recording, left message, no return call. I just want to know what happens next? Any information would be appreciated. June

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually it is quicker than that. You must have a bad one cause returning phone calls is the least they can do. You might just go and walk in and see what is up where you were tested of course.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Guest wardandjune

Pete,

Thanks for reply. I did call tester and he also stated I have a bad counselor for returning calls. He said you can't even get thru. Since I "tested" will the next step be that I'm either accepted or disapproved into some kinda of retraining program??? Thanks again June

• HadIt.com Elder

June:

I suspect that you will be called in to review the tests and plan something. That is how it usually works anyway. Do you have something you want? If you can't be rehabbed they are supposed to consider an ILS Grant. Independent Living to make life better. Many get a good computer with this.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

thanks for reminding me, it's a new fiscal year and I am going to talk to my counselor about a new computer and digital camera and photo printer for a hobby since I am in a scooter, it's not like I can take up bowling, I already have the horses ass trophy for last place in the division from a league back in the 80's. Hey that last night we bowled out hearts out trying to keep from getting those trophies, 1,2 3 and last place all got trophies, I think I would have preferred one of the trophies with a bowler on it. They rated for ILS program right after the testing, about 6 weeks later, they gave me a letter to get new dentures as a quality of life issue, since I am not 100% yet. They said being able to eat would improve my outlook on life. Thanks for reminding me.

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

If they can prove you are becoming a rocket scientist- yes-

Voc Rehab can be a two edged sword-

If you do well in it - you are rehabilited-ie- you can get substantial employment-

The VA (sorry I am bringing this up again for our past members-I am still ticked by it)

actually proposed to drop my husband's SC (he got the letter on Dec 24th and the tree went right out the door) due to

1. one semester of Voc Rehab and

2. the fact that he got a part time crap job at the local VA.-which they called "substantial employment"in the proposed reduction.

yeah right- he had been a Nuke making salary higher than the VA docs ,until the PTSD got to him-

and he only got the crap job because they-VA- had discriminated against him for a firemen's position-he had the OPM fireman qualified thing- but they had a relative of someone who actually got this job.He never even got an interview- this was many years ago-I made a royal stink- the personnel director got canned.

Point here is- they accepted the NOD- I wrote it for him-

I told VA one college semester doesnt make anyone a rocket scientist, he needed accomodations already at the college due his PTSD and was not doing that well with the homework work and that the crappy part time job he got at the VA sure was far from substantial employment because they give those jobs to relatives of employees. I gave them the director's name who could verify the battle he had over being denied access to the Fireman's position. I also suggested if he got this smart in one semester ,could they please send him an application for an adjudicator's job at the VARO? Rod signed it and added he would continue to appeal this proposal for reduction if necessary.

He immediately got them to drop their attempt to lower his comp.(which was 30% at that time)

This probably doesnt happen too much these days- but - Voc Rehab is good but they (VA) can use it against you sometimes.

If I were you I would ask the college for some accommodations to your SC disability-

If you tell me what it is I might come up with something-

it documents that regardless of Voc Rehab , you are still as disabled in it as you were before you got into in.

It is an excellent program-dont get me wrong-and I am sure that most Voc rehab vets never have problems-

but dont allow VA to even attempt to alter your comp because of it.

If your intent is to gain a degree and a good job, which was Rod's intentions too- the VA has to be stopped cold in their tracks if they try to reduce your comp because of Voc rehab.