Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Question For Veterans

Rate this question

Guest camper

Question

I am still on active duty and was diagnosed PTSD by a civilian doctor when I was hospitalized during 2002. No military doctor was available during that period, so tricare paid for the civilian hospital (mental hospital). After that, they decided to hospitalized me at walter reed and this time the military doctors said that it was not PTSD, that it was a "personality disorder." I went back on active duty with no further incidents on this issue.

I plan to retire next year. Question: is there a chance I may get disability rating (upon my retirement) for what happened in 2002 based on the civilian doctor who diagnosed me with PTDS?

Any advice is appreciated.

Camper

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I am still on active duty and was diagnosed PTSD by a civilian doctor when I was hospitalized during 2002. No military doctor was available during that period, so tricare paid for the civilian hospital (mental hospital). After that, they decided to hospitalized me at walter reed and this time the military doctors said that it was not PTSD, that it was a "personality disorder." I went back on active duty with no further incidents on this issue.

I plan to retire next year. Question: is there a chance I may get disability rating (upon my retirement) for what happened in 2002 based on the civilian doctor who diagnosed me with PTDS?

Any advice is appreciated.

Camper

Camper, Please do everything you can to resolve this issue prior to retirement! Please read this recent Federal Circuit case - and if you still have questions, fire away!

See attached

Chambers.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

you need to get that personality disorder in your medical records changed, as long as that is the diagnosis they contend that it was a situation of life before service that caused your mental problems. Are you near a vet center where you can go for counseling because at this time the government is fighting PTSD claims left and right. You might even want to consider getting your congressman involved in it. They are using personality disorders to cheat many veterans out of the benefits they deserve for PTSD.

Thanks, I read the attachment.

An active duty member trying to rectify this type of claim will surely jeopardize their current active duty status (job security). I do appreciate the advice (you are right) but I want to retire next year :(

I do have two other major issues: one with lower back pain (documented for months in my health records) and my right hand surgery that went wrong and I am in pain from both areas right now. For the lower back pain, the chiro is not helping so I stopped going after about 4 months of chiro therapy. The hand surgery has caused me to have pain all the time in my hand (I am right handed so this causes me problems). For this surgery, I was outsourced (by tricare) to a surgeon out in town and, after the operation, he basically had no clue about what's causing the pain (the surgery took place in April of 2005). He is refering me to a sports therapist, but I am not sure this will even help. I am in constant pain from both injuries.

Can these issues cause me to obtain a disability percentage upon retirement?

Camper

• HadIt.com Elder

yes both those issues are compensable as service connected, you are supposed to be able to file your claim like 3 months before you retire with the VA.

Terry:

Thanks for your comments. It's kind of funny how things turn out but you brought up a good point. walter reed never included any documents in my health record because the records were not with me when I was hospitalized. The civilian doctor records, however, are included in my health records.

Once I am out of the service and if I submit a claim to the VA and use those civilian health documents that found me to be suffering from PTSD during 2002, wouldn't the VA search for the walter reed documents (is that a routine procedure?). Or would they take only the records that I provide to them?

Just pondering on your point.

Camper

Edited by camper

Camper- if I were you- I would make sure that you have ALL your medical info from the mil before you leave due to discharge-

My kid said it is a requirement now in the Air Force but she got copies of each med rec as they occurred anyhow during her 7 yrs service-and I think she doubled checked it all before her discharge-

Also make sure you have copies of any private documentation too-because the VA loves paper-

it is paper than wins claims- what I mean by paper is any medical documentation whatsoever that proves a disability.

"wouldn't the VA search for the walter reed documents (is that a routine procedure?)". Or would they take only the

In the VA's regulation- their so called "Duty to Assist" laws, they should attempt to get these records if they know of them-however-

I would never trust the VA to do that- get them yourselves by writing to the Records Access Officer at Walter Reed, tell them this is a request under the Privacy Act 5, USC 552, and you would like copies of- and then specify the dates and exactly what you need-like all medical records incurred by you as patient from ---- to ____ and to include Admission and discharge certificates. Tell them you will promptly pay any copy fees but you do request a fee waiver if possible.

Then if they dont reply within two weeks , call the Records Access (or FOIA officer) and see what is what.

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service!

Berta