Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Question For Veterans

Rate this question

Guest camper

Question

I am still on active duty and was diagnosed PTSD by a civilian doctor when I was hospitalized during 2002. No military doctor was available during that period, so tricare paid for the civilian hospital (mental hospital). After that, they decided to hospitalized me at walter reed and this time the military doctors said that it was not PTSD, that it was a "personality disorder." I went back on active duty with no further incidents on this issue.

I plan to retire next year. Question: is there a chance I may get disability rating (upon my retirement) for what happened in 2002 based on the civilian doctor who diagnosed me with PTDS?

Any advice is appreciated.

Camper

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If you intend to file for disability compensation I would do so BEFORE getting out of the military. AmVets had a "fast track" program that one qualified for if they were still serving (had to have a minimum number of days left in service)...this program, essentially, put your claim on the top of the VA pile and could greatly speed up your claim's process. Either way, I would look into filing before leaving the military, rather then waiting 'till your discharged.