Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical References

Rate this question

Ricky

Question

Berta - in past posts you have provided the names of some excellent medical reference books, some of which are used by the great VA. I can not find them could you please summarize thems agian. Thanks

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The VA uses Merck-

Also Braunwald is excellent -dont know if it is accessible on line however-

I use NCBI ( Entrez) Medline a lot-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?DB=pubmed

This stuff is gathered by the National Library of Medicine-

Also I use any date at various web sites such as the ADA- American Diabetes Assoc., or the AHA, etc- that have studies and treatises specific to certain disabilities.

Medical schools on line can help too----

I found a Dental pathology school site that had many treatises there- and I found something so significant-it is all the VA really needs to award my claim.(for diabetes)

Med opinions wanted the treatise if I need an IMO from them as it supports even the VA training letter and I have documented medical evidence that my husband had this unusual symptom of DMII that dentists and oral pathologists can detect.

Also the Mayo Clinic is good (http://www.mayoclinic.com)

As you know these abstracts do not take place of medical in specific to a claim but the VBM recommends using them as support for a claim and they cite:

38 CFR 3.159 (a) (1) (2006) to sat that "competent medical evidence"

includes medical texts, treatises, and scietific articles and research.

Depends on the disability- I found considerable information in Diabetologica and other medical publications for my AO claim-

NVLSP also adds Medline Plus (www.medlineplus.gov) and the DSM site (dont have that link but it is under the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 4th Edition-and on ,line gives brief overview of all mental disorders.)

Although all of my evidence supported by medical references has been ignored -now for four years-

I do not regret the work it took and it all supports my 3 IMos that support my claim.

Also it pays to find a good med symbol reference too-

the VA only used one piece of part of my evidence sent 4 years ago-and their expert said I had interpreted medical symbols showing Rod had DMII all wrong-

I rebutted that I used the same medical reference that helped me decifer his med recs for the FTCA wrongful death award- and that the examiner was wrong-

I cited MediLexicon-another good source for medical symbiology-the same text that the VA uses.

Odd medical symbols and abbreviations -if the meaning is unknown to the veteran- are well worth studying as to what they mean-

these symbols and abbrevs can be a critical part of a claim and-in my case- they revealed the VA had killed my husband by considerable negligence care.The VA would have gotten away with this wrongful death- if I had not done the work it involved to see what the med recs really said-

A few brief med entries on a medical cert 6 years prior to his death-

was what did it-when I finally figured out what they meant.

This is well worth the effort to do----to support a claim.

ooops forgot-

dont hesitate to try to find if the VA has produced any training letter on any claimed disability-they dont have many Training letters- but this too is the words of the VA itself stating medical info that can be very important to a claim-

• HadIt.com Elder

Ricky,

The VA also is aware of Cecil's textbook of medicine, 22nd edition, 2 volumes, 2004, and Tureks Orthopedics, Principles and their Applications, 6th editio, 2005.

Vike 17