Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Secondary Service Connection

Rate this question

imzdo

Question

Good Morning all,

I had an ankle fusion that was service connected and had been drawing 20% for quite a while. A couple of years ago, my hips started bothering me along with both of my knees. I filed for and was granted service connection for both hips and my left knee secondary to my fused right ankle because of analytic gait and have been entitled to 60% since December 2005.

My question is: Since I provided all of the doctor statements, medical records, and went through an exhaustive C&P and the VA doctor agreed with and recommended service connection secondary to the fused right ankle, do I have to continue proving this connection for the rest of my life with VA or is the service connection now written in stone? As if anything is ever written in stone with the VA.

Thanks

IMZDO

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

The VA could never propose to reduce this award unless you significantly improve.

If you ever re-open the claim due to increase in disability affects or you become unemployable due to its affects- the VA will look over the past award- and give you a C & P- but without any medical proof that your disabilities have improved-

or some VA raters sees you flying froma trapeze in a travelling circus-

I dont think you should worry.

One thing however- current treatment records are always important-

the VA's philosophy is that if a vet has a disability they also need and should receive sort sort of ongoing treatment-that would still be current if they re-open for any further conditions.

It mught be just a matter of medications or even an exercise program- and if the vet themselves keeps a little log , this too can show their disability remains current at the level (or higher) than it was rated at.

Thanks Berta. Appreciate the information and will take your advice about seeing the VA every once in a while to let them know that my hips are not getting better.

Imzdo- are you employed?

If not has the VA ever turned you down for Voc Rehab due to your SCs or does your SC disability prevent you from working?

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, use the VA at least to go in for a check up twice a year and to get meds. This way you stay in the system and it shows you are seeking treatment and that you are still disabled. Be sure to let them know you are having current symptoms and complain about it. Nothing succeeds like letting them know you are hurting. Everytime you tell them how bad off you are it goes right into your records and this is documentation which is what the VA feeds on......Paperwork.

Berta,

Thanks for your concern in covering all aspects. I am a retired federal employee and currently working as a contractor. That's the main reason that I have not been using VA facilities to this point as I have good insurance for both medical, dental, and prescriptions; which gets me access to excellent doctors at pretty much no cost.

I suppose that when I go for my next C&P that I should insist that they document the fact that I take 400mg of celebrex, 2 joint juices, and MSM every day so that I can get around comfortably.

Again all, Thanks for your website and excellent advice and information that we can share.

IMZDO