Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Benefits for a 10 year old

Rate this question

Fat

Question

I spoke with a mother whose son was adopted by his great grandfather at 90 years old.

The great grandfather lived until 99 years old and became deceased in 2014.

The mother filed paperwork for custody because the adoption process removed biological mother and father from the original birth certificate.

The current birth certificate only list great grandfather as the adoptive father.

In addition, to the child receiving SS benefits from great grandfathers work history, she also indicated he was a veteran at 100% disability rating upon death.

I didn't ask but he sounded like a WWII veteran.

In lieu of veteran being deceased in 2014, does the 10 year old child have benefits associated with the grandfather's military service?

Education benefits?

Survivor benefits?

Health Insurance?

Etc............

🤠

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The BVA considers step children, adopted children and of course natural children of a veteran as all equally considered for eligibility to VA benefits.

There isn't enough info here to determine the answers to your question.

"In addition, to the child receiving SS benefits from great grandfathers work history, she also indicated he was a veteran at 100% disability rating upon death."

Would that be SSDI from SSA ,meaning the child has a major disability, or SSA death/ survivor  benefits?

If they are SSA survivors benefits ( death benefits) who handles them for the child?

That would go for the SSDI benefits as well. Someone has to handle them because this is a minor child.

We would need much more info.

This is part of a Read First re: DIC post I made many years ago here and the questions regard the survivng spouse ,but are the same questions the mother would need to answer.

Can the mother of the 10 year old give you the answers to these Questions?

"If you are new to hadit and have DIC questions it would help us tremendously if you can answer the following questions right away in your first post.

What was the Primary Cause of Death (# 1) as listed on your spouse’s death certificate?

What,if anything, was listed as a contributing cause under # 2?

Was an autopsy done and if so do you have a complete copy of it?

It can be obtained through the Medical Examiner’s office in your locale.

What was the deceased veteran service connected for in his/her lifetime?

Did they have a claim pending at death and if so what for?

If they died from anything on the Agent Orange Presumptive list ( available here under a search) when did they serve and where? If outside of Vietnam, what was their MOS and also if they served onboard a ship in the South Pacific what ship were they on and when? Also did they have any major  physical  contact with C 123s during the Vietnam War?

And how soon after their death was the DIC form filed…if filed within one year of death, the date of death will be the EED for DIC and also satisfy the accrued regulation criteria."

Can someone in her family help her get on line here?

Edited by Berta
added more

Thanks Berta........

Unfortunately I only have the information presented to myself.

I dont even know the area she was from.

District of Columbia, Virginia, North Carolina, or Maryland I suppose.

I think, assuming, the grandfather was a worker man and received SS retirement.

The child receives a benefit from the SS retirement.

If a parent or guardian receives SSI (NOT ENOUGH WORK CREDITS), then eligible children cant receive a benefit. 

In addition, if he is a WW II veteran at 100%, would the child be entitled to any VA benefits to presumptive issues?

I dont know whom is the payee is for the child since the great grandfather became deceased.

Maybe the administrator of the estate?  I really dont know..............

I would imagine passing at 99 years of age the death certificate might indicate "death by natural cause".

I just found the entire conversation unique due to 99 year old veteran passing and having a 10 year old heir.

Based on the veterans career and disability rating, what benefits might be available to the child.

You asked

"In addition, if he is a WW II veteran at 100%, would the child be entitled to any VA benefits to presumptive issues?"

"Based on the veterans career and disability rating, what benefits might be available to the child."

There is not enough info here to even begin to answer those questions.

If you have lost contact with the mother, I hope she can find a VSO to help with a potential claim.

But unfortunately many vet reps and VSOs really dont know much about DIC, accrued, etc.

We have had DIC claims here before and they can become very convoluted, because the survivors are unable to answer the questions I ask them- the same questions any good vet rep or vet lawyer would ask-

When I find out they have someone on their POA I tell them to give the POA our link here to read my DIC, accrued, etc etc info, and my replies to their posts.

They dont have to join the site but can read it as a guest.

Edited by Berta
cloud

Thanks Berta.

Hopefully she will encounter a good VSO whom is knowledgeable.