VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Golden State Stimulus available for TDIU?

Hello, I am TDIU P&T and have been for all of 2020. I have also lived in the US and California for all of 2020. I see the Golden State Stimulus but it appears to only be for people who filed a return and/or have the Earned Income Tax Credit.

I do not normally file a return as all of my income comes from the VA. However, under TDIU rules, I could theoretically make some amount (up to around $12,000 I think) as long as it's under the poverty line.

My question is, could I file a return and claim something very small in income, like $100, from doing some kind of handyman work for someone? Would that be legal, and would it qualify me for the stimulus? Thanks for any help.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never recommend deception to VA or IRS.  However, "if you did" have income, even if its not  mandatory to file a tax return you can still file one.   Perhaps you earned income you may have forgotten about, however.  Things like interest, dividends, and a bunch of other stuff are not "earned" income.  If you had/have an IRA or 401 k, or the like,  money you withdraw is taxable.   Both the IRS and VA treat different types of income differently.  

VA compensation can still be paid even if you had investments, such as selling your home, dividends, IRA's, pensions from work, etc.  There is a difference between "earned" income, and profits from investments, including an IRA.  

You may have money sitting in an IRA/401 k from working at certain places, that you forgot about.  Even gambling winnings is taxable!  (Not that IM recommending gambling). 

• HadIt.com Elder

.You don't need earned income to get the stimulus .  If you get SSA you are entitled.  I got it and I don't work.  I do have investment income.  I don't think I would be too anxious to report minor "earned income".  Did you get a 1099 on the handyman work?  You don't want to wake up the Beast.  If you got 100$ for cutting your neighbor's lawn for a couple of weeks I would just let that slide if I were TDIU.