Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Mail Problems.

Rate this question

Rattler

Question

• Community Owner

In one of the conversation last week with 800 Betty I found out that the VA is having problems with its mail system. So if they have issued an decision in your case and you have not received the letter yet. (At this point the 10 days do not matter) You can get them to email it to you. (I don't recommend it as its hard to open and I'm a retired IT Guy) Or they can Fax it to you. That's what I did as I have an online Fax account.

• Community Owner
2 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

The reason parts of our system are not up to date is because we are connecting to other systems, including DOD, that are running programs created back when screens on computers had green screens.

My connection to VHA has ascii graphical elements like text boxes, etc, and once I kick off a processes like searching for or downloading vha records I can’t interrupt it, cancel it, pause it- I have to let it run to completion or failure. The connection to NPRC is even worse. 

We have not been told that it was authorized to do so, and many of the 800# people are contracted through call centers, they are not all VA employees. They don’t have the same training or the same authorization to even see decision letters or your full CFile, so hire they are emailing them out faxing them is a cause for concern. 

I don’t know who authorized the emailing and faxing of decisions to people, but I’ll follow up on that today. GPO internal mail isn't the only mail that is slow of having delays right now. USPS has its own problems. 

VSOs can only email or fax you unofficial decisions- they are still subject to change until they are sent from VA/GPO. 

ill check with our CISO today and see what he says. 

brokensoldier244th

You know I apricate you brother. The last real job I had was at a HBCU as an IT guy. (2005 - 2008) They were still running an IBM AS-400 (Greenscreen) Just before I got forced out because of my disabilities we transitioned to an all web based system. I configured the servers for it. I have been told by someone like you that the VA is going to roll out an new system after the 1st of the year that will bind of blend VBMS with DOD.  If you want to see what they are sending out as an email PM me with an email address. I will NOT give it to anyone and I do not forward email BS.

I know you know how I feel about VSO's. The one I meet at the State office tried to get me to apply for a job opening next month.  I'm kind of undecided. As it depends on how they would rate me @ 100%. UI or SMC. Any way he can print all my C & P Exams.  

Edited by Rattler767

12 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Your interpretation of non adversarial  and the governments is different. 

The VA is supposed to be assisting the veterans with the claims that they file. Generally it’s because it’s the idea that these veterans served the country and VA wants to help them and award them for disabilities that are due to their time in service. Not sure how you mean that interpretations are different, its a pretty basic concept. The ability to provide expert guidance to veterans at the lowest level of claims submission would resolve a lot of the problems. 

12 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Not all claim screw ups are VSOs fault.

VSO's are as swamped as RO's. They both make a lot of errors. VSO's also discourage Vets from pursuing more complex claims that the VSO rep thinks are not winnable. Fact is, a lot of the time you find that the reason a Vet did not file a valid claim was because of a VSO telling them they would not win. Its a twisted game. If I listened to the Legion rep working for Fla. Dept of VA, I would never have won my first claim. 

Pending appeals under VA metrics is currently working with over 198,000 claims. Projected budget for 2022 is 228 million. That's a lot of bureaucracy fighting against veterans. 

Edited by pwrslm

On 11/5/2021 at 6:38 AM, Rattler767 said:

OK me clear this up as it has gotten out of hand hear.  There is a big delay in VA out going mail. This was told to me by 800 Betty about a week ago. I am an IT guy with 25+ years of experience. Because cause of the mail problems if you have a letter or a decision letter that they mailed to you 800 Betty can email you the letter. As I keep my computer up-to-date and the VA does not I have been unable to open any secure email sent to me. The VA's secure email looks for an older version of Net Framework for some reason it doesn't recognize the new one like on my PC.  If you have a fax number they can fax them to you if you ask and they have sent you the letter but you have to ask for the VA to do that. The one line Fax service I use is Fax Plus it cost $11.99 a month. An example of the current mail delay is I received a decision on October 20, 2021 I received the letter today. Some I have not received.

The Second thing that I found out is that if you are a certified Vet rep or VSO with VBMS access you can get a copy of your C & P Exams if they know how to do it. I contacted our State VSO and he said they can if they represent you so they have access to your C-File. I am still waiting on a Freedom of Information Act (via VA Form) Request from 6-24-21 on a C & P Exam. 

Edited by Al329

They let us download out Blue-Button report that is heavily protected by HIPPA, I don't see why we cannot get access like that to to the VBA system. Transparency in the claims process would probably resolve a lot of problems before they get out the door. We should have access and communications with RO's so we can detail errors as soon as they are noted instead of being forced to file more claims and appeals that put benefits months and years down the road. If the costs were cut 10% by being transparent, it would pay for itself within a short time. I suspect that transparency would likely cut much more than 10% though.

• Community Owner
On 11/5/2021 at 8:15 PM, pwrslm said:

VSO's are as swamped as RO's. They both make a lot of errors. VSO's also discourage Vets from pursuing more complex claims that the VSO rep thinks are not winnable. Fact is, a lot of the time you find that the reason a Vet did not file a valid claim was because of a VSO telling them they would not win. Its a twisted game. If I listened to the Legion rep working for Fla. Dept of VA, I would never have won my first claim. 

First I woild like to apologies for not getting back on hear before today.  I had a computer crash around the 15th.  (The CPU went out after abut 6 years You would think they Dell would make em last.) Due to the amount of data it took me tell today to get it in another box and up and running. I am blaming this on Berta because of her recent computer problems. (not really got to blame it on someone love you Berta)

As to the above quote. I have been training the last 3 years to get certified as a independent VSO. I have been waiting about 1 1/2 yeas to get approval to take the test.

I know they tell you that "its not adversarial" but that is BS. I will post the rest of the story in another part of the forum.  I had a conversation with a VA employee attached to the Whitehouse hotline who tried to tell me the same thing.  I pointed out how the VA went doctor shopping for an opinion that went against there own C & P Doc's exam. I also point out how they waited 8 days to rate me @70% PTSD so they wouldn't have to rate me for UI. Anyway he (The VA) because of our conversation filed its own QUE error and he called back latter in the day and told me they UI me @ 100%.  There are other issues with the effective date that I will make them go back on.

Anyway her is my point if you were come to me and ask me to help you file a claim and do not have your doc to back it up the only thing I will help you do is file an intent to file as it does not screw up your claim as filing one that is not a fully developed claim. In my experience (43 years dealing with them) If you file and that's all you do and get denied the bar is much higher to reopen one.