VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Home Loans to include repairs etc. For Jos and others

Rate this question

Berta

Question

https://www.va.gov/housing-assistance/home-loans/eligibility/      For veterans 

https://www.va.gov/housing-assistance/home-loans/surviving-spouse/ For Survivors

One day I was going through my hyusband's files years ago and there was a blank COE application in it-he had puchased two homes with the COE VA Home loan program and reminded me many times, if he died, to get my own COE ( Certificate of Eligibility )

I had been considering adding another room to my home- and had even talked to the local building code inspector about it- but it was really an idle thought-I just wanted the COE if I needed it.

So I called the VA Home Loan people anyhow because the blank form he had in his files might have changed.

A real person andwered the phone and told me they never send the COE to any vet or survivor  anymore, they send it directly to their financial institute that the veteran or survivor on DIC picks for the loan. I told them I was really not interested in a loan but would like to have the COE approved for the future and she asked me the name of my credit union, and that someone would call me back in a short preiod of time.

Jos, I replied in the other thread to you, because if you get DIC , this loan program might help you.

If I needed a stair chair, it would have to be outside , as I have two roofed 8 feet staircases with a deck between them, from my driveway to my main deck ad entrance to my house.

It would involve altering the west side of the entire staircase , which I designed myself, and then I had added see through steel panels on the west  side to prevent a  lot of snow from getting on the steps. My weather comes from the west most of the time.

But I dont know how much or how little $$$ any VA  loan could be for.

And I do not know if the COE  info above has changed since what they (VA Loan Department) told me.... many years ago.

"877-827-3702

What if I have questions about the loan process? If you have any questions that your lender can't answer, you can call us at 877-827-3702 to talk to a VA home loan representative.Jan 14, 2022

How to apply for a VA home loan Certificate of Eligibility"

https://www.va.gov › housing-assistance › how-to-apply 

My Credit union called me, about 10 minutes later and said 'Berta, your COE is approved, how much do you need?' and I told her I had no idea yet if I would need the loan so she said the COE was in my files, and if I change my mind to call them.

I understand that if a survivor meets the criteria in the second link above-they could possible get a VA approved loan for anything such as any adaptations or repairs they wanted on their home, as well as instead for a purchase of another home,that they would live in.

Edited by Berta
added more.

4 answers to this question

37 minutes ago, Berta said:

A real person andwered the phone and told me they never send the COE to any vet or survivor  anymore, they send it directly to their financial institute that the veteran or survivor on DIC picks for the loan. I told them I was really not interested in a loan but would like to have the COE approved for the future and she asked me the name of my credit union, and that someone would call me back in a short preiod of time.

I don't recall having to get my COE (in 2019) through activities with a financial institution. Correct me if I'm wrong but you could get it through eBenefits...and soon through va.gov I suppose. I had to get it for them. I had to provide a copy of my COE to my mortgage broker in the pre-qualifying stage, but I could get a copy of my COE with or without being in the pre-qualifying stage.

Thanks for that info! It will help others here -

my experience was different ,but a long time ago-

On 1/22/2022 at 9:00 AM, Rivet62 said:

I don't recall having to get my COE (in 2019) through activities with a financial institution. Correct me if I'm wrong but you could get it through eBenefits...and soon through va.gov I suppose. I had to get it for them. I had to provide a copy of my COE to my mortgage broker in the pre-qualifying stage, but I could get a copy of my COE with or without being in the pre-qualifying stage.

same here. just went and checked bennies just in case:

image.thumb.png.2a2c5cdfc3319e71681b7cb1b72c3b7c.png

image.thumb.png.ce536230d7ba1de74d306f22ff3cdd4c.png

VA.gov forwards you back to Bennies, FYI

On 1/25/2022 at 5:29 PM, blahsaysme2u said:

VA.gov forwards you back to Bennies, FYI

I'm going to miss ebenefits.  I guess they're switching everything over to VA.gov so things are not like they should yet.

EDITED: Deleted screenshots to save space on the server. Added link instructions below.

Anyway, this is where I found mine: eBenefits Dashboard, click on Manage Your Benefits on the near bottom of the page >Click on Housing>Click on Certificate of Eligibility for Home Loan>Click on the View your COE link>you can view it or print it to PDF or an actual printer.

Edited by Rivet62
Removed images to save server storage space.