VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Would this be a CUE

Rate this question

AF SP

Question

I have a question according to M21-1, Part IV, Subpart i, Chapter 3, Section A - General Criteria for Sufficiency of Examination Reports the examiner has to be done by one of the below.  Mine was done by a Licensed  Profession Counselor.  Is that cause for CUE?  The Dr. stepped in at the very beginning and said he was "mentoring" her, he again stepped in at the end and asked if I had questions.  That is all I saw of him.

board-certified or board-eligible psychiatrists

licensed doctorate-level psychologists, or

the following other mental health professionals, under the close supervision of a board-certified or board-eligible psychiatrist or licensed doctorate-level psychologist:

doctorate-level mental health providers

psychiatry residents, and

clinical or counseling psychologists completing a one-year internship or residency.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, AF SP said:

the following other mental health professionals, under the close supervision of a board-certified or board-eligible psychiatrist or licensed doctorate-level psychologist:

clinical or counseling psychologists completing a one-year internship or residency.

IMHO (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION), it would be an uphill battle, instead of trying to file a CUE claim, you may want to get a different medical opinion and either file a disagreement or supplemental with a different opinion. The reason I say this is based on your post. The VA can have just about any type of examiner complete an exam as long as there is a medical supervisor that also reviews and sign your medical exam.  Keep in mind that a lot of veterans do not understand what the VAMC stand for, it is Veterans Affairs Medical Center but in plain language it is a medical training facility that is supposed to train VA medical doctors. That is why they are supposed to ask veterans if the veteran would mind being seen by a student or when a veteran has an appointment, the veteran has to see two doctors, the first is a training student and the second is a qualified or certified medical doctor. I got tired of this years ago when a student doctor tried to change my medication that would have put me in the hospital.

My disabilities are chronic and static, I have been on so many different medications you would not believe. With that said, I know if I was put on a medication that did or did not work, I had an adverse reaction and there is no need to try something new. A student doctor tried to change my medication and argued with me that the new medication would help me, but I informed him that it would not help my situation because I had already tried the medication years ago and it put me in the hospital and if he would have read my records would know that my current medication was better. After I was treated by my regular doctor, I never saw this student doctor again. This would probably be the same as a contract examiner.

It states in your post:

the following other mental health professionals, under the close supervision of a board-certified or board-eligible psychiatrist or licensed doctorate-level psychologist: clinical or counseling psychologists completing a one-year internship or residency.

Others may chime in.

Edited by pacmanx1