VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suspension of benefits VBA accounting error. Which office do I contact?

Rate this question

daveyamf79

Question

Which VA office do I contact to correct an accounting error in my VBA disability compensation benefits?

I am a reservist and the only paid duty I have is active duty. Prior to covid, VBA sent me a yearly accounting of my duty days on form 21-8951. They would then send me a bill. Then covid happened and they quit issuing these letters for about 2 years. They started up this process again recently, but they are now doing it differently. In addition to 21-8951 which suspends my benefits for all my active duty days, they are also suspending benefits for the periods of time that I am on active duty, thus charging me twice. The first time this happened I sent an explanation with all the evidence to HLR. HLR came back and said that the debt was proper. It is apparent that HLR didn't comprehend what I was trying to communicate. I don't dispute that the debt is proper, just that it is being levied twice for the same duty using two parallel processes.

For example: I did 14 days of active duty. Form 21-8951 shows 14 days for FY21. VA shows my compensation suspended for 1-14 Oct 22. Then they sent me a separate letter saying I was active duty for 14 days and we are suspending your benefits 15-28 Oct. They have now charged me twice for the same duty days.

So HLR is not the way to go. This seems to me to be an accounting problem (likely a systemic problem, meaning I'm not the only one). Any advice on which office to contact?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Daveyamf79

Welcome to Hadit. I'd call the regional office and ask for the manager. You could try the patient advocate, and they might have a contact info for those types of questions.