Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Migraines rated Solely for TDIU plus 60% equals SMC-S Read it for yourself.

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

Read It for yourselves. TDIU plus 60% = SMC-S, it can be done.

Accordingly, the Board finds that the Veteran is entitled to a TDIU due solely to service-connected migraines, effective March 21, 2020.      

SMC 

SMC benefits by reason of being housebound are payable if the Veteran has a single permanent disability rated 100 percent disabling and has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent or more. See 38 U.S.C. §§ 1114(s), 1134; 38 C.F.R. § 3.350(i). The disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent or more must be separate and distinct from the 100 percent service-connected disability and involve different anatomical segments or bodily systems. See 38 C.F.R. § 3.350(i)(1).

Effective March 21, 2020, including the disability evaluations adjudicated herein, the Veteran had a 50 percent evaluation for acne scars of the face; a 50 percent evaluation for GAD; a 30 percent evaluation for painful scars of the left inguinal area status post hernia repair and of the face; a 10 percent evaluation for tinnitus; a non-compensable evaluation for bilateral hearing loss; a non-compensable evaluation for acne scars of the upper back; and a non-compensable evaluation for acne scars of the upper chest. These additional disabilities combine to a disability evaluation of 80 percent. 

As of March 21, 2020, the Veteran had a TDIU due solely to service-connected migraines as granted herein and had additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent or more. 

Accordingly, the Board finds that the Veteran is entitled to SMC under 38 U.S.C. § 1134, effective March 21, 2020.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp22/Files1/22000108.txt

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

There is nothing unusual about this award, the VA has been doing this  since Bradley V Peake ( TDIU & 60 = SMC S or Housebound) 

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.

The significance of this post is that, if you read through several posts. We have veterans that ask if they are entitled to SMC-S if they are awarded TDIU plus 60%. Some posts that a TDIU must be rated at 60%, 70% or above but the bottom line is that TDIU is just that TDIU. A TDIU rating plus an additional separate 60% or above makes a veteran eligible for SMC-S provided that the TDIU disability and the plus 60% disabilities are not the same disabilities or fall under the same category.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

• Greeter

I’m curious about this too. I was just recently rated for migraines at 50% stating I am unable to work from the condition.

and I also have bipolar 70 percent tdiu

could I be rerated at the 50% migraines tdiu and 70 bipolar for my 60% that would be a statutory rated. Just curious if they would flip flop the tdiu from one condition to another.

because if you left it as is I would be 70 percent bipolar tdiu and 50 percent migraines. Which I would not qualify. Because I need a 60 percent rating.

Edited by Dot09

13 minutes ago, Dot09 said:

I’m curious about this too. I was just recently rated for migraines at 50% stating I am unable to work from the condition.

and I also have bipolar 70 percent tdiu

could I be rerated at the 50% migraines tdiu and 70 bipolar for my 60% that would be a statutory rated. Just curious if they would flip flop the tdiu from one condition to another.

because if you left it as is I would be 70 percent bipolar tdiu and 50 percent migraines. Which I would not qualify. Because I need a 60 percent rating.

The VA does not flip or flop decisions. If your records support the fact that you should be considered for SMC-S, then the VA should have considered it.   Tricky very tricky. I say tricky because TDIU plus 50% does not equal SMC-S.

Now if you are/were rated 50% TDIU for migraines alone plus your 70% TDIU for Bipolar then you may have a chance, but the VA is not going to roll over easy for this rating, so I say tricky. You may want to consult an attorney. Others may chime in.

• Greeter

Yeah I’m just curious. Because my migraines specifically state I am unable to work due to this condition. I just put my claim in which would put me at 70/50/30/20/10/10/10 and possibly another 50 percent from sleep apnea.

possibly another 50 percent from sleep apnea.

Pay close attention to the regulation which the VA loves to ignore.

6847 Sleep Apnea Syndromes (Obstructive, Central, Mixed):

Chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention or cor pulmonale, or; requires tracheostomy 100%

Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous airway pressure (CPAP) machine 50%

Persistent daytime hypersomnolence 30%

Asymptomatic but with documented sleep disorder breathing 0%

1 Review for entitlement to special monthly compensation under § 3.350 of this chapter.

Edited by pacmanx1