Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

rway

Question

I am confused on what date is correct. I have been diagnosed with ptsd by VA doctors and am confident that it will be service connected do to 2 stressors (one in 1985 and another in 1991). My question is, my doctors have asked me when (what date) did these stressor start affecting me. The answer I have been giving them is, from those dates on (1985, 1991). I am just finally able to talk about them. Is the date that I am diagnosed going to be the date that the C&P docs go by? Because I have the C&P coming up and do not want to mess up anything. Or should I state that the date is 2005, since I have not been able to work since then do to my PTSD problems?

Thanks RWAY

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

You mean these were the dates the stressors occured in service?

Dates of stressor are very important if the vet does not have stressor confirmed on their DD 214 (PH-Combat awards)and this way CURR can confirm them.

Date of leaving employment due to SC disability is date to use for TDIU.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder
I am confused on what date is correct. I have been diagnosed with ptsd by VA doctors and am confident that it will be service connected do to 2 stressors (one in 1985 and another in 1991). My question is, my doctors have asked me when (what date) did these stressor start affecting me. The answer I have been giving them is, from those dates on (1985, 1991). I am just finally able to talk about them. Is the date that I am diagnosed going to be the date that the C&P docs go by? Because I have the C&P coming up and do not want to mess up anything. Or should I state that the date is 2005, since I have not been able to work since then do to my PTSD problems?

Thanks RWAY

I would tell them approximately when you started having problems. For many of us VN vets we've had problems for years but didn't know it, thought it was normal, or simply denied there was anything wrong with us. Our lives were a wreck. Substance abuse; multiple marriages; many, many jobs; moving frequently; virtual isolation; etc,etc. Then I'd use a date near or when you last worked for a date when it finally overwhelmed you and your world came crashing down. jmo

Thanks for the information. The more I read in this Forum, the more everything makes sense. I am still learning what the initials are, such as (SMR) meaning Service Medical Records. What does IMO mean? I also, can see how I lost my first claim. When I had my exams, I said yes and no to everything, without expanding or explaining anything. That definitely hurt my case. I am ready to speak up now, thanks to everyones input. Gotta love ya all.

RWAY

IMO Independent Medical Opinion

IME Independent Medical Exam or Examiner- sameo as IMO

However regardless of what doc might state your PTSD is more than likely due to your service-

without the DD214 combat designations- decorations or the PH- you will still need to get the stressor verified.

I see you are 60% -could you possibly have depression too that is DUE to the 60% therefore secondary to it?

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Yes, I first put in a claim for depression, secondary due to my disabilities. But after seeing the VA Psych. Doc. He asked questions about everything and said I had Major Depression and PTSD. I have requested my Medical Records to find out exactly where I stand but haven't received them yet. I have learned via this forum, that you can only get a rating for 1 mental disability. Therefore, I did not want my upcoming C&P for depression, saying it's NOT depression it's PTSD. So I quickly made an amendment and added PTSD to my claim that I have pending. Hopefully, I have done the right thing. I figure now they can sort out by brain and tell me which is worst, Major Depression or PTSD.

RWAY