Jump to content
VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024-2.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

Trying To Have A Law Amended With My Claim

Rate this question



Believe it of not, when I volunteered back in 1975, I had gone in with 3 Knowles (screw Pins) pins in my left hip.

The pins were in place, due to an earlier in life, greater trochanter neck garden 3 variety. It healed well.

I ended up injuring that hip in the service. I was awarded 10% from the VA.

One pin appeared to have penetrated the Acetabular (joint space) and was damaging the the socket. In 1977, I was operated on by a VA doctor (quack) and he had removed the retaining nuts, clipped the pins even with the bone and called it a day. The penetrating pin was still in the joint. When I spoke with the doctor, he had stated that he could NOT remove the pins from the bone. So instead, he removed the fasteners, and clipped the pins to the bone. His INCOMPITENT procedure, has been described by another doctor as "Unorthodox" at best.

Thus, MY claim for an 1151

In a few months, the pins are taking their toll. It appeared through x-ray that another pin was entering into the joint space.

Now...what makes this interesting, is that these "Prosthetic" devices are starting to shift. There is a statute which covers for a shifting prosthetic device, BUT that isn't a pin, is it? Isn't that established primarily for a THR?

Can I amend a law which would cover ANY FOREIGN BODY surgically implanted (eg: pins, plate, screws, etc.)?


Is there one in place, but I failed to see it.

One last issue...

Is it considered "Unothodox" to remove the nuts from the pins? The Knowles pins and nuts are a KIT. Zimmer is the manufacturer of these pins. Can the pins be installed without the nuts? Does anybody here know of an Orthopedic surgeon that knows the answer to this? Nobody wants to answer my question, in fear of having to appear in court!



Edited by hollywoodnc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Recommended Posts

  • HadIt.com Elder

Simply Write to Zimmer in this and ask for their protocall on this. They should have do's and dont's on how to implant and if something goes wrong ...how to fix.

This should be a set of directives to follow and see if any special training was needed in order for the surgeon to qualify to implant or fix complications after an implant.

You should be able to get this information through a FOIA request, and the surgeons qualifacations in Discovery through the 1151 claim.

Once you get this information, you may want to do research to find a Ortho Surgeon that has the most experience in this and let he or she give you a IMO after reveiw of medical records or exam, it may cost a lil now but you may be getting great return in the future both money wise and phisicaly as they may be able to help fix the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use