VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

flynsolo2

Question

Okay, tried to update my original post but I think it's getting lost.....

I had a sleep study done from the va in 2011 that showed OSA but a cpap was never ordered. I also have a claim for PTSD, which I rated at 70% for. When I try to claim the OSA now, even with the VA now ordering the cpap after another sleep study (through the va) has shown that the osa has only gotten worse (and recognized snoring as well), the VA denies my claim and files it under PTSD. My VSO says it's not worth trying to fight for osa secondary to PTSD and showing the osa has gotten worse, but, I thought once you are ordered a cpap, it was easier to get rated for sleep disturbances or insomnia or something? Anyone had any luck with this claim or have any advice? I am beyond frustrated. 

I do not know if it matters, the vso said he didn't think so, but I am getting an outside facility (outside of the va, I mean), sleep study done as well....

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

OSA secondary to PTSD will probably take an IMO/IME, since va docs dont want to conncect it to ptsd.  

If you are not actually using your cpap, then it probably wont matter.  

Doctors have discrection on whether to order a cpap, it likely depends on the severity of your OSA.  (Normally translated to how many times per hour do you have osa events. ). 

If you are using, or will use a cpap, then go for it.  If you are not using it, or have not been prescribed a cpap, then I probably would not bother until/unless your osa worsens.  

But, there is more than one route to 100 percent.  Have you considered requesting an increase in PTSD (if your symptoms have worsened).  

Key:  Are you working full time?  If not, then you may consider going for tdiu/and or increase in ptsd.  Let me share the reg that VSO's and VA reps dont want you to know:

(b) It is the established policy of the Department of Veterans Affairs that all veterans who are unable to secure and follow a substantially gainful occupation by reason of service-connected disabilities shall be rated totally disabled. Therefore, rating boards should submit to the Director, Compensation Service, for extra-schedular consideration all cases of veterans who are unemployable by reason of service-connected disabilities, but who fail to meet the percentage standards set forth in paragraph (a) of this section. The rating board will include a full statement as to the veteran's service-connected disabilities, employment history, educational and vocational attainment and all other factors having a bearing on the issue.

Of course, I dont know if you are working, unemployed, unemployable, etc.  But, you dont necessarily have to have osa to get 100 percent from 70 percent ptsd. 

Has your symptoms worsened?  

a

@broncovetmy OSA has worsened. My PTSD was increased from 50 to now 70% as of 2019. I would say my PTSD is not better or worse....

Right now, I have a 90% overall rating (I believe I fall at an actual rating of 92 or 93%). 

I am working. I am lucky to have a job with flexibility, and so I would like to keep my job, sometimes it helps to stay busy all day. 

I  have the cpap, but the VA is making me wait to start using it until after my appointment (which is not until Oct sometime). I do not remember if my report actually stated how many events of osa I had, but, I plan on getting an outside sleep study, because I thought the at home one was ridiculous and I woke up several times with it somehow wrapped around me-yes, I am a restless sleeper-sleep meds do not help keep me asleep only help to get me to sleep, unfortunately. I always say you never know how important sleep is until you are not getting any.  I think it has been years since I have had restful sleep....). But, I was thinking if the outside opinion showed worse osa /more events than the va at home study, then great. If not, at least it will further confirm osa and hopefully the outside the va sleep study doctor would do an IMO letter......