Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Please advise // get retirement

Rate this question

Tlomax

Question

When i went through peblo and disability; despite having been on limdu for like 2 years, and having treatments and physical therapy; dod gave me zero disability percentage. Even though my ship duty screening was a heck no.

I chose to be honorably discharged, rather than fail prts or not be accepted to a command; as recommended by my peblo 

I was told once the VA gave me any rating over 60%, they could then file to get my retirement back because i should have been medically retired. I am currently 80% disabled.

Does anyone know the process on how to get that retirement back? Im not even super concerned about the back pay i was told i would get either. Furthermore not even all of my conditions were reviewed to get that 80% anyway. Please advise.

Also to respond to your concern about me treating, im an autistic [non-reviewed] adhd adult; i get all my ultrasounds, cardiograms, labs; i even buy the OTC herbal supplements they recommended. I adhere to doctors orders very well and take my medicines 🙂

I doubt theyd even review my autism or adhd

56 minutes ago, Tlomax said:

Ive got so many medals from my deployments; too bad those arent helpful for me 🤣

They do help you, they appear on your 214 as to where you were deployed.

There is what’s called a presumption claim.

All that you need to prove for that type of claim is to have proof of being in a particular location…that evidence is on your 214.

1 hour ago, Whodat said:

I do understand that there may be some incompetent Reps at your location. My opinion, first try your local VAMC and look for either a Dav, VFW, etc to help you. It's free. Explain that you are filing for an increase for your sc conditions as well as secondaries if you have evidence and supporting documents. IE, you are serviced connected for your back and later on down the road, you have been diagnosed with sciatica. 

You can also submit a claim on VA. Gov, if you have registered for it. If not, register. 

You can and most vets have submitted their initial claim alone. It's when some of get denied and need little more help.

Keep getting treatment from your primary care. What I do see is vets file a claim but never seek treatment or have a continuity of treatment. That's a good recipe for denial. 

Make sure your pcp orders X-ray, mri etc.

Always have objected evidence!!!!

19 hours ago, pacmanx1 said:

As stated, your already service-connected disability ratings could cause secondary medical problems, or you may have some disabilities that you have but never filed for. It would be hard to say what you could apply for not being able to know what you are service connected for and what disabilities you have and what is in your medical records. So, what are your currently disability rating for?  

Basically, the same way you did to get your 80%, just with different disabilities with medical evidence, if you have issues you want to claim, start seeing a doctor now to get them documented and in you records.

Remember, anytime you are submitting a claim for increase, or filing a new claim, you subject yourself to a total re-evaluation.

Im not trying to deter you from filing, It’s knowing what you “Could” possibly encounter.

Also, to respond to your concern about me treating, I'm an autistic [non-reviewed] ADHD adult; I get all my ultrasounds, cardiograms, labs; I even buy the OTC herbal supplements they recommended.

Having bad day and focusing but I will try to help and explain. If you are service connected for a mental health disorder or anything not military related, never bring up these facts unless it is part of an already service-connected rating, the VA could try to use it against you. I have asked, what are you already service connected for? What is the breakdown of your 80% rating?  Knowing will help us understand how you should go forward. I am not trying to be nosy it is important. As to trying to get you to 100% P & T, you do not have to file for increase per se, it would be better to file for either secondary issues/disabilities and or totally separate issues.

Yes, it is possible that if you file for secondary issues or service-connected ratings that the VA could re-evaluate your already service-connected rated disabilities but as long as you have current treatment it would be no big deal. Some veterans, VSOs, and VA employees like to tell veterans if they file for additional disabilities that the VA will try to reduce their already service-connected disabilities but that is more fear mongering than anything else. It does happen but as stated, as long as you have updated medical treated that the VA will not try to mess with your ratings and if you file claims for separate issues, it is against VA’s policy to reduce a veteran’s rating just to reduce it. The VA has to show that your disability has gotten better and that is not likely.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.