Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Paxil and GERD

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

I have a couple of questions.  I have been taking Paxil for awhile now and have developed acid reflux (GERD).  I have a constant nagging cough, heartburn and sometimes stomach acid will come up.  I know one of the side affects of Paxil that I have read is GERD or acid reflux but have any of you dealt with this?

Also, should I file this as a new claim and list that taking Paxil for my mood disorder is the cause?  I'm assuming that is the way to go as I don't think I want to file for an increase in mood disorder and say the increase is for gerd/acid reflux.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Well Gerd certainly sucks.  You should ask for medication for it.  You can send your PCP a private message through Vets.gov.  In my case, I take Famotidine (Pepcid ac).  This will strengthen you claim.  A diagnosis in your records would go a long way too.  I had an outside Doc diagnose me with GERD presumptive to Gulf War.  In this case, only a diagnosis is needed.  You may need a Doc to link your Gerd as secondary to PTSD medication to make the claim concrete.

I recently received a 60% award for GERD due to my long-term PTSD and taking VA medications for PTSD, HBP, etc. representing myself pro se.

Your symptoms are similar to mine and the QTC C&P examiner and VARO rater believed my true statements as to the severity of my symptoms and also my contention that the Vietnam PTSD caused and aggravated my GERD.  I had no doctor's or other medical stating a nexus connection of PTSD to GERD.

But I did have strong VA and private medical records revealing my long-term GERD problems and VA medications such as ranitidine, etc. prescribed to me for my GERD since 2000 and 2011.

My comment not legal advice as I no lawyer, paralegal or VSO.