VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

So, where is the VA caregivers program (PCAFC) headed from here?

jamescripps2

Question

Seems like the VA is fumbling around in trying to salvage the program and naintain some kind of self dignity in the process.

https://www.disabledveterans.org/2022/09/15/caregivers-take-fight-right-to-mcdonough-issue-remy-challenge/

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

To add:  

If you can post the "reasons and bases" for denial of the caregiver program, we can tell you better on what actions to take:  You probably will want to appeal, but post the "evidence" VA considered also.  

broncovet,  Clarifying:  When I stated that a PCAFC type Caregiver's denial is one that must be appealed by the veteran..... Meaning that a veteran's agent; or veteran's organization; or an attorney on behalf of the veteran is not the one to appeal, at this junction. It is the veteran/himself or herself who appeals directly to BVA. My Husband did appeal to BVA. We were notified that his Denial of PCAFC Caregiver's Program has been remanded. PCAFC Denials of Benefits are being handled differently than other typical type VA Denials of Benefits.

Edited by Viet Wife
Adding more details to clarify; corrected a misspelling..

3 hours ago, Viet Wife said:

broncovet,  Clarifying:  When I stated that a PCAFC type Caregiver's denial is one that must be appealed by the veteran..... Meaning that a veteran's agent; or veteran's organization; or an attorney on behalf of the veteran is not the one to appeal, at this junction. It is the veteran/himself or herself who appeals directly to BVA. My Husband did appeal to BVA. We were notified that his Denial of PCAFC Caregiver's Program has been remanded. PCAFC Denials of Benefits are being handled differently than other typical type VA Denials of Benefits.

By the answers that you are getting you can probablly tell that most people who deal with the VA, including VSOs, DVA employees, and even the moderators here at hadit do not have a clue as to what you are talking about.

The PCAFC program is handled by the VHA, not the DVA. There are different rules and regulations. The DVA, if you hold theit fot to the fire, will eventually comply with regulations. On the other hand, the VHA is not in compliance with the rules and regulations and they are unreasonable people to deal with. It is hard to obtain justice when an agency refuses to comply with their own regulations. That is why we have to get those cases out of the hands of the VHA and to the Judges at the BVA. 

You did the right thing by appealing to the BVA. Bassed upon what you are saying, You will win the remand and recover your back pay.

You can read more on what I have to say about the PCAFC at vatheredneckway.wordpress.com

I think the reason for the lack of information and/or training about the CPAFC caregiver program is its lack of consistancy of decisions over the different VISNs and even between medical centers. The VHA directs you to ask your unanswered questions to your nearest VSO, when the VSOs are not aware of the existance of the program, much less how to apply for the program or how to appeal. Lack of training is not the falt of the VSO. All they can do is to just kick the can a little further down the road!