Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

retroactive pay

Rate this question

hwill

Question

I'm kind of a newbie on the forum, I registered years back and only made one post. I served 23 years in the army and retired in 2010. I was rated at 40% at the time of discharge. I really wasn't familiar with the claim process and didn't really attempt to bother. I'm currently rated at 80%. During the time I was receiving the 40% from the Va, DFAS was withholding 40% from my retirement check. They said due to being below 50% it was considered concurrent pay. I received retroactive back pay only back to my claim date of 2020 to 2022 which was about two years. I was informed by other vets in similar situation that Dfas should pay me the money back that was withheld from my retirement check from 2010 to 2020 with was about $670 to $700 a month now that I'm above 50%. Where is all the money they withheld. Anyone had any feedback on this situation. Thanks for your assi

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Greetings,

I had the same situation . Now once I got above 50: I had applied for crsc and I did get  retro. Did you apply for crsc?

Greeting,

No I didn't apply for CRSC. I just recently received my increase from 40% to 80% from the Va about two months ago. DFAS restored my retirement check to 100%, plus I'm recieving the full 80% amount from the Va right now. I received a check from Va for backpay from 2020 to 2022 , and also one from DFAS same time frame. I was informed by other vets that DFAS should have refunded all the money that was held from my retirement check dating back to 2010 when I retired from the military which they held due to the concurrent pay policy. They only went back to the date the claim was submitted. I'm missing about 10 years. I contacted Dfas to inquire about the dates. They couldn't tell me anything they stated that they had to research it. So I'm trying to figure out if they should backpay me all the money that was held from my retirement check from 2020 to 2022. Right now I'm waiting for there findings.

This is a great topic. This is how we all learn. I haven't thought about it as well but I had retired in 08. I only was getting 10 which came from my retirement which was taxable. 2012 I went from 10 to 60. Did get a backpay from VA but no backpay from dfas. 

I retired in 09, I just received an increase from 40% to 80%. When I was rated at 40% I ope, to receive the 40% from the Va due to it being tax free. Due to the concurrent pay policy DFAS withheld the same amount from my retirement check. Now that I'm over 50% I now receive my full retirement and the full 80% from VA. I received backpay from VA from 2020-2022, based on the date I submitted my claim/intent to file. I also received backpay from Dfas for the money that being withheld from my retirement, same timeframe. I asked them where they got the date from to backpay me . no one knew.  I asked them if they were going to return all the money that was withheld from my retirement check. They stated that they had to research it and they would get back to me. So I'm waiting now. I have a buddy that retired in 08, and they went back to that 2008. The letter I received from the VA stated that the Defense Authorization Act of 2003 and 2004 had two programs where certain military retirees may have restored some or all of the retirement pay waived as required by law to receive  disability compensation from them. Still researching and waiting for feedback from Dfas