Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypothyroidism

Rate this question

ronn

Question

Is Hypothyroidism a compensatable condition when directly related to treatment of A SC disease ? Is there any refrences to it in title 38 ?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I bet it is compensable if it is directly related to treatment of a SC condition. Does it disable you in any way? Do you take meds to control it? If so then you can probably get it compensated at some rate. I just got 0% for arteriosceloris even though it does not really disable me yet. Maybe it is under endocrine disorders like diabetes.

Yea I just located it in title 38 DNC 7903. I take thyroid hormone medication for it , but it is not under control. They destroyed my thyroid gland with radation treatments for throat cancer.

I bet it is compensable if it is directly related to treatment of a SC condition. Does it disable you in any way? Do you take meds to control it? If so then you can probably get it compensated at some rate. I just got 0% for arteriosceloris even though it does not really disable me yet. Maybe it is under endocrine disorders like diabetes.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ronn

You probably have an 1151 claim. Either way if they broke it and they can't fix it you should be service connected for it. Berta Simmons can help you with the section 1151 claim.

Ronn,

If your radiation treatments are related to an SC throat cancer, either a radiologist or an endocrinologist should be able to relate the hypothyroidism to the radiation. If you're on Synthroid that's worth 10%. If you can add constipation and "cognitive difficulty/memory loss or depression to the Synthroid, it's 30%.

What are your T-4, T-3/T-4 and TSH readings? Until you get the T-4 dosage stabilized, you will feel a lot of hypothyroid symptoms. Dosage adjustments are made slowly as it takes time for the body to react to changes in the thyroid meds.

I had thyroid cancer, so I have no thyroid gland. If you want to chat about it, let me know.

Ralph

Objee, thanx for the reply. I'm on the synthyroid . The futher i investigate the more questions i have . Why have i not been referred to an endocrinologist ? the doctors new the thyroid would be damaged. Think i need more info on this 1151 stuff. I haven't received my complete medical records yet,but my last report from PCP list 11 different conditions i suffer. My research is telling me they are all related to cancer of the throat whitch led to hypothroidism and the rest related to that , including stroke . You know the saying "what you don't know want hurt you"! Well it ain't true, DAMNED IF YOU DO AND DAMNED IF YOU DON"T ! Pretty sure i will have enough info by the end of the month to be awarded 100% . Time is the big factor now. ronn

Ronn,

If your radiation treatments are related to an SC throat cancer, either a radiologist or an endocrinologist should be able to relate the hypothyroidism to the radiation. If you're on Synthroid that's worth 10%. If you can add constipation and "cognitive difficulty/memory loss or depression to the Synthroid, it's 30%.

What are your T-4, T-3/T-4 and TSH readings? Until you get the T-4 dosage stabilized, you will feel a lot of hypothyroid symptoms. Dosage adjustments are made slowly as it takes time for the body to react to changes in the thyroid meds.

I had thyroid cancer, so I have no thyroid gland. If you want to chat about it, let me know.

Ralph

Guest RickB54

Ronn,

I was just put on synthroid by my va primary care physician. He told me that one of the reasons I gained so much weight was that my thyroid gland was not doing its job. Initally I thought great now there really is a valid reason for all my weight gain. But after your post, I'm going to look into this a little more, seems to me there must be a reason why my gland stoped doing its job. Maybe some of my lung medications have caused a problem.