VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypothyroidism

Rate this question

ronn

Question

Is Hypothyroidism a compensatable condition when directly related to treatment of A SC disease ? Is there any refrences to it in title 38 ?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

John wrote:

"You probably have an 1151 claim. Either way if they broke it and they can't fix it you should be service connected for it. Berta Simmons can help you with the section 1151 claim."

If the VA caused you additional disability by medical error, they can service connect the additional disability under 38 USC Sec 1151.

Also a vet can state that treatment for a service connected condition has caused them additional disability-and VA will rate it as a secondary condition.

Or a vet can claim both scenarios.

They can file a claim stating that due to VA's __________ (medication, radiation, etc) used to treat their SC disability of _________,

they have developed additional disability of _________ and are claiming the additional resulting disability as secondary.

Then they can add if the additional disability is not sced and that claim is denied, please consider this as a claim for additional disability due to VA medical error under auspices of 38 USC section 1151.

The additional disability has to be proven by medical evidence as well as evidence of the medical error- or if secondary -medical evidence of the nexus between the SC disability and the additional newer disability.

Ronn,

If your radiation treatments are related to an SC throat cancer, either a radiologist or an endocrinologist should be able to relate the hypothyroidism to the radiation. If you're on Synthroid that's worth 10%. If you can add constipation and "cognitive difficulty/memory loss or depression to the Synthroid, it's 30%.

What are your T-4, T-3/T-4 and TSH readings? Until you get the T-4 dosage stabilized, you will feel a lot of hypothyroid symptoms. Dosage adjustments are made slowly as it takes time for the body to react to changes in the thyroid meds.

I had thyroid cancer, so I have no thyroid gland. If you want to chat about it, let me know.

Ralph

I had a total Thyroidictomy on 2006 Nov,15. I put in a claim in March 2007 for Thyroid cancer under Agent Orange,i am also on Levothyroxine for the rest of my life. i also had weight gain,from 190 to 220, fatigability , mental disturbance, muscular weakness.

I don't know if it will be S/C right now but maybe down the road it will put on the agent orang list, at least i will have a retro date as to when i put in my claim.

Patrick

One of the first things they did after my stroke was increase my synthroid medication ! Monday i go see my pcp and will have a few questions . Such as why I've never been seen by an endocrinologist or one was not consulted ?

I had a total Thyroidictomy on 2006 Nov,15. I put in a claim in March 2007 for Thyroid cancer under Agent Orange,i am also on Levothyroxine for the rest of my life. i also had weight gain,from 190 to 220, fatigability , mental disturbance, muscular weakness.

I don't know if it will be S/C right now but maybe down the road it will put on the agent orang list, at least i will have a retro date as to when i put in my claim.

Patrick