Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver denial with r-1 rating

Rate this question

andrewdc

Question

My application for the caregiver program was denied. I am appealing to the BVA on the basis that since I am rated r-1 (100% major neuro cognitive disorder) and require daily assistance for my mental disorders, that my appeal should be granted. Anyone in a similar circumstance that has appealed caregiver denial to BVA?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

I am R-2 and I won the very first PCAFC caregiver's case to be heard at the BVA on June 22, 2022. The CEAT team conceeded that I needed help with at least five of the seven recognized CPAFC qualifying ADLs but still refused to relent and award level two caregiver benefits. The case was a shu in at the BVA.

Do not rely soley upon your contention that you are rated at r-1 (100% major neuro cognitive disorder) and require daily assistance for your mental disorders. You need to expand on the ADL needs.

The VBA and the VHA do not communicate. The social workers, medical professionals, and CEAT teams have no idea of what a R-1 veteran is, they probably never even heard of it.

Yes indeed, fact that you qualify as a R-1 vet sort of dictates to any knowlegable and reasonable person that you require level 2 caregiver benefits. You need to point out to the BVA, and support with documentation, the ADLs that you need help with, each and every time the ADL is preformed.

Ask the BVA to advance your case on the docket for the reason that you are a R-1 vet. It worked for me.

You can go to the BVA search prior decisions site at

https://search.usa.gov/search?affiliate=bvadecisions&_ga=2.77268117.1265507262.1648799257-1511624019.1640929699 

Enter my case # in the search box and read about the claim and decision. My case number is A22011682

You can also read more of what I have to say about the CPAFC caregivers program on my prior post and threads here at hadit and at my web site at  vatheredneckway.wordpress.com