Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Autopsy for cause of death in DIC.

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

If your spouse died (military disabled Vet), you may need an autopsy to determine cause of death.  

1.  With DIC, you have to have a Service connected cause of death, "unless" he has been rated 100 percent P and T for 10 or more years.  

2.  If you have doubts about what caused his death, the only sure way to know is autopsy.  

3.  Its not impossible, that the death is VA's fault.  It would not be the first time!  

4.  Also, if your spouse had been on meds, multiple meds have been known to cause death, sometimes, and you wont know without an autopsy.  

If you do get an autopsy, save it in a safe place.  

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Broncovet - I am digging for some info on your first statement.  I am 100% P&T - if I die after 10 years (no matter the cause) my wife is entitled to DIC?  Am I reading this correctly or does it need to be something that is service connected?  

My reason for asking is I have significant exposure to various things that could easily be covered under the PACT Act.  I have not bothered to pursue any of this (COPD, Blood Pressure, Liver Issues) because it opens me up to new examinations.  We are treating and watching but I have filed nothing.  If she is entitled after 10 years no matter what then I will keep on as I am - if it needs to be tied to a condition, I need to submit the paperwork.  Any thoughts?

Old, but I'm not that old
Young, but I'm not that bold

I found your answer in another post - 10 years any cause.

Old, but I'm not that old
Young, but I'm not that bold

Ok, but its not "quite" that simple as with pretty much everything VA.  I suggest you read the rules..all of them..to make sure your spouse qualifies:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

Many of these details matter.  If I know VA, if your spouse fails to meet just one of the critera, she wont get it.  Its more than "just" the 10 year rule, she has to be "eligible", meeting the marriage criteria.  For example, if you just got married six months ago, well there could be a problem.  

Edited by broncovet